Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
Dear teachers,

Could you please tell me when I should use a noun with article a like in the first sentence below and when I should use a noun in plural form. Please see examples below.

1. By default, XY system automatically creates username depends on the first name and last name of a paticular account.

2. By default, XY system automatically creates username depends on the first name and last name of accounts.

Thank you for the help in advance.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Dear teachers,

Could you please tell me when I should use a noun with article a like in the first sentence below and when I should use a noun in plural form. Please see examples below.

1. By default, XY system automatically creates username depends on the first name and last name of a paticular account.

2. By default, XY system automatically creates username depends on the first name and last name of accounts.

Thank you for the help in advance.
Neither example is very good, better would be: "By default the XY system automatically creates a username, using the first and last names of the owner of the account.

Ferdie11

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
Neither example is very good, better would be: "By default the XY system automatically creates a username, using the first and last names of the owner of the account.

I agree. But I'm still confused when to use a noun with article a, as in "a username" in your sentence, and a noun in plural form as in "first and last names", also in your sentence.

Hope this makes sense.

Khosro

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I agree. But I'm still confused when to use a noun with article a, as in "a username" in your sentence, and a noun in plural form as in "first and last names", also in your sentence.

Hope this makes sense.

Note that if it is plural in bhaisahab sentence the reason is that they are two names, first and last.

susiedqq

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Let me add to the confusion :lol:

I wonder if it means:

By default, the XY system automatically creates a username, depending on the first and last name on a particular account.

Ferdie11

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
Your post adds to the confusion:-? indeed. Thanks, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.