Native Language
Croatian
Home Country
Croatia
Current Location
Italy
Hi,
can you help me with the meaning of "go over" in this contex:

The communist regime has not completely gone over to market economics but they’ve loosened their ideological grip enough to allow Saigon’s commercial instinct to blossom once again.

I tought the meaning was "the regime hasn't influenced the market economics". But if so. the second part of the sentence doesn't make much sence.

Thank you!:)

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
It means that the regime hasn't yet completely changed the economics. It's still communist, not liberal. I think it should read "economy", not "economics".

The Dude

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I agree. The literal meaning of that expression is 'changed sides', from 'gone over to the other side'.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Converted

crazYgeeK

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
I think it's very necessary to add "to" to the "gone over" to make a phrase with the same meaning to "converted", isn't it? (go over to)

Why don't you, teachers, correct the mistakes of the learners right in their sentences (in their posts)? I think it's very useful for learners, I like that way, and I still remember a teacher who has usually corrected our mistakes right in our sentences beside answering our questions, that's emsr2d2, he/she (I'm not sure) hasn't been online for a long time! Hic!
Thank you!

The Dude

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Let's be clear: going over to the other side (metaphorically) is the same as converting to it. So 'converted' could exactly replace 'gone over' in the original post.

To 'convert to' something means to change your opinions or beliefs. (Cat Stevens converted to Islam.) Also you could convert someone to something, which means changing their opinions or beliefs. (Early missionaries converted people to Christianity.) And you can convert something into something else by changing its structure to fit a different purpose. ("I converted that chair into a table/that barn into a house.")

I'm not sure what you mean when you ask teachers to correct mistakes in the posts. If you mean that all mistakes in the post should be corrected, rather than just the main question, I would say that I prefer to focus on the question the student has raised, perhaps picking out another error if it is a big one. Correcting every little mistake in every post would be tedious for me, would make my replies very long, and could be depressing for the student! :-(

But if you mean that we could quote the student's post and simply insert our corrections - well, some do it that way, but I prefer to explain why I'm correcting. I feel the student learns more that way.

crazYgeeK

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Let's be clear: going over to the other side (metaphorically) is the same as converting to it. So 'converted' could exactly replace 'gone over' in the original post.

To 'convert to' something means to change your opinions or beliefs. (Cat Stevens converted to Islam.) Also you could convert someone to something, which means changing their opinions or beliefs. (Early missionaries converted people to Christianity.) And you can convert something into something else by changing its structure to fit a different purpose. ("I converted that chair into a table/that barn into a house.")

I'm not sure what you mean when you ask teachers to correct mistakes in the posts. If you mean that all mistakes in the post should be corrected, rather than just the main question, I would say that I prefer to focus on the question the student has raised, perhaps picking out another error if it is a big one. Correcting every little mistake in every post would be tedious for me, would make my replies very long, and could be depressing for the student! :-(

But if you mean that we could quote the student's post and simply insert our corrections - well, some do it that way, but I prefer to explain why I'm correcting. I feel the student learns more that way.

I mean teachers should insert their corrections by highlighting them in the quoted texts of the learners!
Yes, I can understand how hard and needy for you to correct the mistakes and post a reply to show these only, but as I mentioned above, the correction is right in the quoted text and no need more words about the mistakes in the content of the post where is for the answer! I think it needs little effort, doesn't it?
Thank you so much!

The Dude

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
:-o

I'll try to remember to do it that way for you.

AlexAD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
United States
Though I understand that sometimes it's boring for a teacher to correct every post made by students it would be very nice of you. At least I would appreciate such a help.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It can even be counter-productive to correct all the time- if the thread is a discussion and people start correcting mistakes, learners may feel discouraged from participating, so a lot depends on the nature of the thread IMO. It can also distract- if the thread is about a verb form, and people start correcting someone's use of the definite article, it can hijack the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.