Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi all,
Can the way a child is brought up and treated (in the way they're told by parents how to behave, how to be disciplined, how to respect others, etc.) be called treatment? Any other term used in this case, please?

Thanks.

The Dude

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Referring back to the verb you correctly used, I would talk about a child's 'upbringing'. This means the way in which a child was brought up, which seems to be what you want.

I wouldn't use 'treatment' in this context. We usually qualify 'upbringing' with one of a variety of adjectives such as strict, tough, relaxed or liberal, thereby covering every possibility!

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Referring back to the verb you correctly used, I would talk about a child's 'upbringing'. This means the way in which a child was brought up, which seems to be what you want.

I wouldn't use 'treatment' in this context. We usually qualify 'upbringing' with one of a variety of adjectives such as strict, tough, relaxed or liberal, thereby covering every possibility!

Many thanks. I used to think, or have the feeling that, bringing up a child was more of a physical process! So, can't the verb treat be used as a verb for the noun upbringing? (I'm a bit confused, so please kindly put up with my questions! :))

susiedqq

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
parent can be a noun and a verb.

a child can be parented.

parents also raise a child

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
So, can't the verb treat be used as a verb for the noun upbringing?

Mehrgan.
Just to expand on The Dude's posts. Although a child can receive "harsh treatment" or "be treated indulgently" during its upbringing, "treat" in itself is not a verb for "upbringing". Better terms are "rear" or "raise": "He is raising/rearing his children with a good sense of right and wrong". "They had a good upbringing and were raised to value their family". And as Susie says, the way a child is "parented" is often synonymous with its upbringing.

not a teacher

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
So many thanks for all the very useful answers of yours! :)

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
So, can't the verb treat be used as a verb for the noun upbringing?

Mehrgan.
Just to expand on The Dude's posts. Although a child can receive "harsh treatment" or "be treated indulgently" during its upbringing, "treat" in itself is not a verb for "upbringing". Better terms are "rear" or "raise": "He is raising/rearing his children with a good sense of right and wrong". "They had a good upbringing and were raised to value their family". And as Susie says, the way a child is "parented" is often synonymous with its upbringing.

not a teacher

And one last question, if you don't mind it of course. If a child behaves inappropriately by, say, talking back, being disrespectful, etc. can we say they are reared/raised badly? (They've had a bad upbringing?)

Many thanks again.

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
And one last question, if you don't mind it of course. If a child behaves inappropriately by, say, talking back, being disrespectful, etc. can we say they are reared/raised badly? (They've had a bad upbringing?)

They were badly/not well raised – is the usual order, but what you have is OK. And raised feels more natural than reared here to me, but that might be regional.

They've had a bad upbringing – is fine.

In reference to your comment that "upbringing" seemed like a physical process; when someone is behaving unmannerly they are sometimes jokingly asked, "Were you brought up or dragged up?". A similar remark is, "Who brung you up?", with the incorrect form suggesting uncouthness.

Status
Not open for further replies.