• Post Thanks / Like

Question Is the it necessary?

Below is a statement I read from a patent:

In conventional two component electrophotographic marking engines, a magnet brush roller carries these mix of charged toner particles and magnet carrier particles to a development zone to meet a photosensitive member with a latent image on it.

I feel that the it at the end of the statement seems not necessary. Could that be rewritten as the following?

In conventional two component electrophotographic marking engines, a magnet brush roller carries these mix of charged toner particles and magnet carrier particles to a development zone to meet a photosensitive member with a latent image on.

Please explain either that is right or wrong.

Jw1212

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is the it necessary?

The first version, using "it" is not really wrong, but is clumsy. The second version, simply dropping "it" is incorrect. Sorry, this is a quick answer, no real tme to explain.

The main clause contains the words "carries these mix". This is also an error because the determiner is not in agreement with the noun (these is for a plural noun, mix is a single noun). So it should be "this", "a" or "the", depending on what has gone before.

So I believe your best solution is:
    "In conventional two component electrophotographic marking engines, a magnet brush roller carries this mix of charged toner particles and magnet carrier particles to a development zone to meet a photosensitive member carrying a latent image. Or perhaps some other participle like "carrying".

Steve