Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Why is deserve plural when none is singular in this proverb? Is it an exceptional case?

ex)None but the brave deserve(s) the fair?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
None but the brave means only brave people so the correct form is

None but the brave deserve the fair.Prov. Only a courageous and gallant man deserves a beautiful woman.; Only the best deserves the best. Stop making excuses and just call Gina. None but the brave deserve the fair.
(Free Dictionary)

Rover

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
None but the brave means only brave people so the correct form is

(Free Dictionary)

Rover
Yes that's true, but Dryden's original text, from Alexander's Feast 1697, has "deserves".

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Also, for those studying 200-year-old poetry, Dyden's text also includes sate (sat), quire (choir) and hautboys (oboes).

Rover

The Dude

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I think you can be flexible about this and would say that, in my opinion anyway, the use of 'none' has come to mean not only 'not one/no-one'. It also now covers 'not any', and thus can take a plural verb where appropriate.

"Is there any sugar?" can be answered with "No, there isn't any", but also with "No, there's none." (= not any + singular)

"We're all really tired, so none of us are going to the cinema tonight. We just can't be bothered." (= not any + plural)

"Are there any people left inside? No, there are none." (plural + not any)

In the last two we want to emphasize the plurality: 'we're all not going', rather than 'not one of us is going', 'people' rather than 'person'. This also makes your quotation reasonable, as 'the brave' refers to 'all brave people'.

I have a feeling this may be disputed. :-D Fire away!

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes that's true, but Dryden's original text, from Alexander's Feast 1697, has "deserves".

Until the early-mid 20th century there was a belief (followed by a prescription that lasted well into my education) that 'none' means 'not one' and so takes a verb in the singular. Dryden was just doing what he was told! ;-)

b

Status
Not open for further replies.