Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
How do we describe one treats me very nice when he needs my help and support. After his problem has been settled and he doesn't need me any more, he turns to very mean to me?

Thank you.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
He is showing 'cupboard love'. But this idiom isn't exactly the same, as a person who shows cupboard love doesn't have to be - and return to being - hostile.

b

Ju

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
He is showing 'cupboard love'. But this idiom isn't exactly the same, as a person who shows cupboard love doesn't have to be - and return to being - hostile.

b

Since 'cupboard love' isn't exactly the same returning to being - hostile, what is the one exactly what I am asking?

Thank you.

allenman

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
How do we describe one treats me very nice when he needs my help and support. After his problem has been settled and he doesn't need me any more, he turns to very mean to me?

Thank you.
We would probably say idiomatically "he's a user" (in other words, he uses you to get what he needs)

One slight correction in what you asked... you should say "he turns very mean to me" instead of "he turns to very mean to me"

Not a teacher

wq.denis

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
How about "having 2 faces"?

a newbie:-D

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

Thank you.
This is not exactly what you want, but I'll add it anyway.
A "fair weather friend" is someone who is your friend when everything is going well, but who drops you whenever they're called upon to do something, or at the first sign of trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.