• Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

Oral comprehension

Hello guys, I am a student from Italy and I need help understanding
    some spoken sentences that I found on the web (they are very short, about 30 seconds each).
    These are the links:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?77ebt7ay6d0344i
    http://www.mediafire.com/?kbyravg0b705bj8

Can anybody help?

Thanks in advance!

Davide

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

Re: Oral comprehension

Nobody's replied yet for some reason, so I'll tell you what I could understand. It's not very much unfortunately. It's very difficult without context. I hope that if I start, others will find it easier to reply -- they won't have to type the entire thing in.

File 1

You might as well just (There should be a "have" somewhere, but I don't hear it.) taken a red blanket and wrapped around it, and yelled "Torro!" (I hear "torno" actually, but it's doesn't make sense.) You know, at least I would have gotten it fresher. (Four(?) words(?) I can't understand.)

A vulture on some fresh desert carcass.

(No idea, sorry.)

Hey, Janet! Steven and I are gonna (I'd better not try to guess. I don't know who brother Colson could be...)

Or maybe next time you could set it up with the refund policies in.

File 2

"Everytime she looks at me, I (?). I see the way she talks to Walter." "That's because they're good friends." "No, but the way she g-looks at Walter."

You know, when they gave that promotion to Wendy instead of me, (?) settle(d) for (?). When you're gonna (not sure about it) get that raise, (we're?) settled for that too.

How do you take a transfer foolishly? Didn't you wanna be in accouting?

Good luck with this. I'm looking forward to other members' replies. It's really bugging me that I could understand so little.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

The context of these sentences seems to be an office/economical one: they talk about accounting etc.
    The word you refer to as "Torro" could be "Toro" : it means "bull" in italian/spanish and the red blanket would then refer to the show "corrida" (where a red blanket is used to excite the bull).
    In the part "Hey, Janet! Steven and I are gonna ..." I understand the words "gross" and "net": I think it is a joke based on the ambiguity of those words (which have a certain meaning in the economical world but also mean ugly and fair respectively), but I can't get the exact joke.
    As for the second part I understand "Everytime she looks at me I wimp out"; the rest is for me more or less as you stated.
    Hope somebody can shed some light .....

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

Yes, of course "toro". Sorry about the misspelling. And "wimp out" works.

I'm saying the following things only because no one else has replied.

The Janet one ends with "is really gross" I think, but "gross" is pronounced a little bit unusually. The word said before "is really" occurs in this sentence twice. It sounds like "colson". The first time it occurs is in (I'm giving random spellings to the words I couldn't get):

"Steven and I are gonna go f'yu the colson bails this year for my expense starting by net"

And then:

"Our brother colson is really gross."

I have no idea what it could mean. Do you have a longer file with some context? Maybe that could help.

In the sentence that comes after the vulture one, there is a phrase "someone who is".

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

When you say "Our brother colson" I understand "or rather call since really gross" but it doesn't make much sense.
    When you say "the colson bails" it could be "closing balance this year" (which is in line with what seems to be the financial context of this conversation) and the words net/gross would make sense (they are related with the balance of a firm, and as I was saying I think it makes some sort of joke).
    Unfortunately I don't have a longer version, these were files that I downloaded some time ago from a forum similar to this one (I don't remember the exact address) and they have baffled me since then; the only help I get is that they were called office_talk.mp3 so this should be the context (in fact you have words like net/gross, accounting etc.).

Let's hope some more help comes in

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

Well, I won't say it can't be "closing balance", but I can't say I hear it there.