Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Australia
I know dog's balls is to mean "cool, great". I'm guessing it's a quite recent invention, too. I'd like to ask native speakers: how does the phrase sound to you, what connotations does it bring about? Is it common?

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I know dog's balls is to mean "cool, great". I'm guessing it's a quite recent invention, too. I'd like to ask native speakers: how does the phrase sound to you, what connotations does it bring about? Is it common?
In AmE, "dog's balls" is not used to indicate "cool" or "great". If you used the expression in mixed company you would be considered rude.

nyota

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Australia
:shock: Could you please explain what it means then?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
The BrE expression is Dog's bollocks, not to be used in polite circles.

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
nyota.
I haven't heard the phrase "dog's balls" in that sense (others may have) but in UK Eng "dog's bollocks" (the same part of the canine anatomy) means "just the best": "This new car of mine is the dog's bollocks". It's like a coarser version of the genteel and dated "bee's knees" or "cat's pyjamas".
The phrase "sticks out like dog's balls" means something is very obvious and plain to see, especially if it looks out of place or inappropriate: "In that street of old wooden houses that modern glass one sticks out like dog's balls".

These are fairly vulgar terms and you would have to be careful where you used them, in some company they would be considered rude, but they can also be effective at the right time and place.

not a teacher

banderas

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
UK
Did not you mean "dog's bollocks" by any chance?
I've never heard of "dog's balls".
(note: I am not a native speaker of English).

nyota

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Australia
nyota.
It's like a coarser version of the genteel and dated "bee's knees" or "cat's pyjamas".
The phrase "sticks out like dog's balls" means something is very obvious and plain to see, especially if it looks out of place or inappropriate: "In that street of old wooden houses that modern glass one sticks out like dog's balls".not a teacher

Seriously, how do you even come up with something like bee's knees :loling:. All very interesting, thanks!

Did not you mean "dog's bollocks" by any chance?
I've never heard of "dog's balls".
(note: I am not a native speaker of English).

I saw it somewhere on the internet, hence my question. :)

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
how do you even come up with something like bee's knees?

Yes, it is a nice phrase and although I did say that it's a little dated I still often hear it said.

From oxforddictionaries.com
The bee's knees: The phrase was first recorded in the late 18th century, when it was used to mean 'something very small and insignificant'. Its current meaning dates from the 1920s, at which time a whole collection of American slang expressions were coined with the meaning 'an outstanding person or thing'. Examples included the flea's eyebrows, the canary's tusks, and one that still survives - the cat's whiskers. The switch in meaning for the bee's knees probably emerged because it was so similar in structure and pattern to these other phrases.

maoriboy

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Colombia
I agree with JMurray, seems to be a mix or confusion between "the dogs bollocks" which does mean "cool or great", and "Something or someone sticks out like dogs balls", which as is mentioned, means something or someone that is very different from everything else, or is very obvious.

So while Robby Williams thinks he's the dogs bollocks, Lady gaga sticks out like dogs balls where ever she goes.
By the way, this site's just the cats pyjamas.:-D

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
how do you even come up with something like bee's knees?

Yes, it is a nice phrase and although I did say that it's a little dated I still often hear it said.

From oxforddictionaries.com
The bee's knees: The phrase was first recorded in the late 18th century, when it was used to mean 'something very small and insignificant'. Its current meaning dates from the 1920s, at which time a whole collection of American slang expressions were coined with the meaning 'an outstanding person or thing'. Examples included the flea's eyebrows, the canary's tusks, and one that still survives - the cat's whiskers. The switch in meaning for the bee's knees probably emerged because it was so similar in structure and pattern to these other phrases.
And here's another opinion (a little different).

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It can be shortened to the dog's to avoid offending people directly.

:up: ... in the same way that "I don't give a monkey's" is used, avoiding the unmentionable possession, or bad beer tastes like "gnats'".

I've heard from a fairly reliable source (Stephen Fry I think) a derivation for 'dog's bollocks' that is not mentioned on that Phrase Finder page. Some commodity (it may have been the toy construction set, 'Meccano') was listed in a catalogue as '<whatever> - Box (standard)/ Box (deluxe)'. From this we get two idioms; "bog standard" and "dog's bollocks".

Two for the price of one -neat! ;-) I'm not sure I believe, but I'm impressed.

b

nyota

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Australia
That's it. I'm making a list of all those phrases. Even if some of them are dated, I absolutely love it how absurd they are! :turn-l:

canary's tusks
cat's pyjamas
snake's hips
flea's eyebrows
monkey's eyebrows
___________________not___dated_:
bee's knees
cat's whiskers
dog's bollocks (coarser)

I was also checking what followed I don't give a monkey's and I tastes like gnats' and I've stumbled upon this Semantic enigmas - I don't give a monkey's.

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
BobK – re bollocks, you might be interested in this.
Bog standard

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I've met 'the cat's pyjamas', but before that I had seen 'the rat's pyjamas'. I can date it fairly precisely, as it was in an article by Alan Coren (RIP) in Punch (RIP) at the time when Uganda was taken over by Idi Amin in 1971.

b

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
BobK – re bollocks, you might be interested in this.
Bog standard

Hmm. Phrase finder says

Even if they could come up with such a box label, and that remains noticeably lacking, how is that linguistic jump supposed to have occurred, and why the long gap between the construction sets and the phrase being found in print?

'Linguistic jump'? Speaking as a student of philology, I can say that it's hardly a jump at all. Consider the French guirlande and the Spanish grinalda. We can ignore the u, as it just keeps th g hard.

So we've got French

G + I + R + L + A + N + D + <unstressed final vowel>​

versus Spanish

G + R + I + N + A + L + D + <unstressed final vowel>​

The beginning and the end are the same, but four of the middle five phonemes are in different positions, and the only 'stable' one changes in quality (it's nasalized). In language development, phonemes jump about.

As I said, I'm not convinced either way; but I'm certainly not convinced either by the unnamed know-alls at Phrase Finder!

b

Status
Not open for further replies.