Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Good evening,

I have been working on grammar exercises in the last few hours. Now I have got some questions which you can hopefully help me with:

1) I booked an appointment for 1.30 pm on Wednesday.
2) In fact, I spent over six hours in the hairdresser's altogether and didn't arrive home until well after 8'o clock.

I would go for "was booking and was spending" but the correction says what I wrote above. Why? In the second sentence we are dealing with a certain amount of time, don't we?
In sentence one I would say we talk about a specific event in the past. My grammar book tells me to use past progressive in such situations.

Can you give me a more proper explanation please? I am unsure about the difference in meaning with simple past and past progressive.

3.1) We would like to have stayed longer.
3.2) We would have liked to stay longer.
3.3) We would have liked to have stayed longer.

I am completely confused about the difference in meaning, as this is nothing I have ever worked on before. They all express preferences in the past, but which sentence fits which past tense and why?

Kind regards
have a good evening

123Amigo

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Please ask different questions in separate threads, othewise the responses can become quite confusing. I have tackled one of your questions.
3.1) We would like to have stayed longer.
a. We regret now that we did not stay longer on the past occasion the speaker is talking about.
b. We regret now that we cannot stay longer now.
3.2) We would have liked to stay longer.
a. On that past occasion, we regretted that we could not stay longer.
b. We regret now that we cannot stay longer now.
3.3) We would have liked to have stayed longer.
a. On a past occasion, we regretted that we had been unable to stay longer on a precious occasion.
b.
On that past occasion, we regretted that we could not stay longer.
c.
We regret now that we cannot stay longer now.
Confused?

The problem is that native speakers frequently use a form that is technically 'incorrect'. In my paraphrases above, the 'a' version is the 'correct' one., but you will hear people using the utterances with the 'b' and 'c' meanings. The message intended will usually be clear from the context.

If you want to use the 'correct' form, remember that (very roughly):

we would like = we wish - present time
we would have liked = we wished - past time
to stay = at the same time as, or after, the wish
to have stayed = before the wish.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
1) I booked an appointment for 1.30 pm on Wednesday.
2) In fact, I spent over six hours in the hairdresser's altogether and didn't arrive home until well after 8'o clock.

I would go for "was booking and was spending" but the correction says what I wrote above. Why? In the second sentence we are dealing with a certain amount of time, don't we?
In sentence one I would say we talk about a specific event in the past. My grammar book tells me to use past progressive in such situations.

The past progressive would suggest that the actions weren't finished. Your grammar books probably means situations where the action/state described by the verb was ongoing at that time being referenced.

123Amigo

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Alright, thank you for your quick responses. It's still not a 100% percent clear, but I will keep on practising and may create a new topic in case their might occur new problems. :)

cubezero3

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Please ask different questions in separate threads, othewise the responses can become quite confusing. I have tackled one of your questions.Confused?

The problem is that native speakers frequently use a form that is technically 'incorrect'. In my paraphrases above, the 'a' version is the 'correct' one., but you will hear people using the utterances with the 'b' and 'c' meanings. The message intended will usually be clear from the context.

If you want to use the 'correct' form, remember that (very roughly):

we would like = we wish - present time
we would have liked = we wished - past time
to stay = at the same time as, or after, the wish
to have stayed = before the wish.

Hello, 5jj.

I'd like to ask a question regarding the following sentence: 3.2) We would have liked to stay longer.

Do people have to add an if clause when using the sentence quoted, as in If we had been there that very day, we would have liked to stay longer?

If this is the case, then is seems the meanings of sentence 3.1 and 3.2 are not substantially different.

Many thanks

Richard

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Do people have to add an if clause when using the sentence quoted, as in If we had been there that very day, we would have liked to stay longer?

No- they were there that day, but they couldn't stay any longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.