Student or Learner
Native Language
Swahili
Home Country
Congo
Current Location
Australia
Hi,

The bold words in the following text represent stressed words. Would a native speaker stress these words if they read the text?

A man had two daughters. One was married to a farmer and the other to a brick marker. The man wanted to give one wish to each daughter. He went to the daughter who had married the farmer and asked how she was and if there is anything she needed. The daughter said everything is fine father. I only have one wish. I wish that it will rain so that my husband’s plants will grow.

Thanks,

MG.

Route21

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Thailand
Hi musicgold

As a NES, the stresses I would probably have given in reading the passsage would have been:

A man had two daughters. One was married to a farmer and the other to a brick-maker. The man wanted to give one wish to each daughter. He went to the daughter who had married the farmer and asked how she was and if there is anything she needed. The daughter said everything is fine father. I only have one wish. I wish that it will rain so that my husband’s plants will grow.

Hope this helps
R21

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Here's my version, with primary and secondary stress and unstressed syllables. As we said in a similar thread, there are several possibilities.

A man had two daughters. One was married to a farmer and the other to a brick marker. The man wanted to give one wish to each daughter. He went to the daughter who had married the farmer and asked how she was and if there is anything she needed. The daughter said everything is fine father. I only have one wish. I wish that it will rain so that my husband’s plants will grow.

musicgold

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Swahili
Home Country
Congo
Current Location
Australia
Thank you folks.

Just one follow up question.

A man had two daughters.
Actually I was confident about this sentence so I left it black. Both of you stressed only 'two'. I thought 'man' should also be stressed as that was the first sentence of the story and it introduced the man to the reader. What was your reason behind not stressing 'man'?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
]If you had just told a story about a woman, then I would have stressed 'man'. Others might stress 'man' anyway.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.