Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
United States
Hi,

I'd like to know what does "check on it" mean?

If someone ask me about something and I am not sure about the answer, can I say: I will check on it? Or should I say I will check about it? Or I will check up on it?:-?

Thank you.:)

EnglishRyan

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
China
'Check on' and 'check up on' are slightly different in meaning, with the latter denoting a situation requiring more attention. For example, a mother would check on a sleeping baby but check up on a sick baby. Both phrases loosely translate to 'make sure ___ is alright' (one to a slightly greater degree than the other) and are used to describe an object or situation that does not presently hold your attention. For example, I could not currently say I'm going to 'check on/check up on' my computer because, at this moment, I am using it.

Both phrases are often preceded by 'I'd better'. So...

I'd better check on that soup I'm cooking.
(I'm going to have a quick look at that soup I'm cooking.)

I'd better check up on that soup I'm cooking.
(I'm going to have a quick look at that soup and I anticipate it will need some attention.)

EnglishRyan

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
China
Don't use 'check about it'! ;-)

rwillmurphy

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Peru
The connotation as I understand it is that "check up on it" implies that it has been maintained, while "check on it" would imply a first visit to the subject.
I have soup on the stove, let me check up on it. vs. Let me check on how Pia is coming along with the soup.

milkriver

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
United States
Thanks a lot for the answers. :-D

Just wanna clarify. People asked me to help them find the contact of a professor, so I can say "I will check on it later", right?
I have vague memory about another phrase with word "look", which could be used in this context also. Could anyone remind me which phrase that is? Thank you.

magdalena

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I am not a native speaker but I would rather use 'I will look it up for you later' meaning'I will find out how to contact him/ find his phone number etc'. :)

milkriver

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
United States
Thank you magdalena. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.