[Vocabulary] Which of you can bear witness/testimony to the correct usage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hucky

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
German
Home Country
Switzerland
Current Location
Switzerland
Hi there again,

I`ve looked up the following entries (in their noun senses) 1) witness, and 2) testimony in almost all monolingual dictionaries. Most of them give as the meaning a person with No. 1) (except for a few), and a thing with No. 2). In addition, there are also corresponding phrases: 1a) to bear witness to, and 2a) to bear testimony to. In 1a) witness has apparently also a thing meaning. So, do the two phrases mean the same?

Language witnesses ahead and give testimony!

Hucky

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
You cannot bear testimony in my opinion. You give testimony.

"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour" = you must not give false evidence against your neighbour.

The obsolete character of the context in my quotation is the tipoff: bear witness is archaic. You still run across it and it still means testify, but it is increasingly rare. I think it is dying out.

I suppose the noun witness must have had the meaning evidence, but that meaning is surely obsolete outside the phrase bear witness. A witness in any other context is a person.

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
'Bear testimony' exists, but it's not used commonly- you find it in religious contexts sometimes. Outside bear witness and possibly a few other phrases, the definition of witness as a person holds good.

Hucky

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
German
Home Country
Switzerland
Current Location
Switzerland
Dear probus and Tdol,

To my shame I have just noticed that I haven`t thanked you yet for your explanations. I was certainly going to do so at once, got somehow distracted, forgot about it thinking I had already done so, whilst probably taking the intention for the deed. So, here are my thanks, though belatedly, not in a less hearty manner.

All the best!

Hucky

Hucky

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
German
Home Country
Switzerland
Current Location
Switzerland
Hiya,

With respect to what probus and Tdol have written, I`d like to take up the thread by going on to ask whether it is correct to dub the statements like these:

1) The historic sites and documents a) bear testimony / b) (not: bear witness) of local history.

But what about this one?

2) The historic sites and documents a) are testimonies / b) witnesses of the past.

In other words, can a place or a document be a witness of something?

And what about the verb construction?

3) The historic sites and documents a) testify to / b) witness the past.

Which of them is most suitable?

Greetings

Hucky

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Dear probus and Tdol,

To my shame I have just noticed that I haven`t thanked you yet for your explanations. I was certainly going to do so at once, got somehow distracted, forgot about it thinking I had already done so, whilst probably taking the intention for the deed. So, here are my thanks, though belatedly, not in a less hearty manner.

All the best!

Hucky

You're welcome. :up:

Mr_Ben

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Switzerland
When it rains, it pours:

"I keep having to remind myself that we're bearing witness," Andy told me recently, when we were discussing how the volume of material was affecting him personally. "Otherwise, I think I would've lost my mind."

(from an article/blog/discussion about journalists who view shocking material every day as part of their job)

Status
Not open for further replies.