Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I felt less a stranger in the land; and as my eye traced the dusty road winding along through a rich cultivated country, and skirted on either side with blossomed fruit-trees, and occasionally caught glimpses of a little farm-house resting in a green hollow, and lapped in the bosom of plenty, I felt that I was in a prosperous, hospitable, and happy land.
(Outre-mer: a pilgrimage beyond the sea - Google Books page 14)

What is the meaning of "lap" here and why is it used?

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I'd say it means "covered", "enfolded", "surrounded by".
Oh, so it wasn't his eye that lapped, but the farmhouse that was lapped. Thank you. Would you say that the comma before "and lapped" is correct?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think the author, and not only the farmhouse, is "in the lap of" this land of plenty.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I think the author, and not only the farmhouse, is "in the lap of" this land of plenty.
Wouldn't it be a bit ungrammatical then?

as my eye traced the dusty road [...], and lapped in the bosom of plenty, I felt that I was in a [...] happy land.

I think if we want "lapped" to refer to "I", we should remove the "as", shouldn't we?

my eye traced the dusty road [...], and lapped in the bosom of plenty, I felt that I was in a [...] happy land.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hmm. Hard to say. Maybe his eye lapped it in, the way a thirsty dog laps water, enjoying the vision?

It's a rather cumbersome sentence to parse, though it's pretty to read.

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
What is the meaning of "lap" here and why is it used?
I'd say it means "covered", "enfolded", "surrounded by".

birdeen's call.
"lap" can often mean to enfold with a soothing or comforting effect, which seems especially applicable to being "lapped in the bosom of" something. On first reading I assumed the writer felt "lapped in the bosom of plenty" as he was reassured and heartened by what he saw.

But on reading it again after your query, that isn't so clear. Is the writer describing the farm-house as "resting in the hollow, lapped in the bosom" or himself as feeling "lapped in the bosom" as he surveys this scene? I'll put in em dashes to clarify what I mean.

"I felt less a stranger in the land; and as my eye traced the dusty road winding along through a rich cultivated country, and skirted on either side with blossomed fruit-trees, and occasionally caught glimpses of a little farm-house resting in a green hollow, and lapped in the bosom of plenty – I felt that I was in a prosperous, hospitable, and happy land."

"I felt less a stranger in the land; and as my eye traced the dusty road winding along through a rich cultivated country, and skirted on either side with blossomed fruit-trees, and occasionally caught glimpses of a little farm-house resting in a green hollow – lapped in the bosom of plenty, I felt that I was in a prosperous, hospitable, and happy land."

I think it is ambiguous, but as Barb suggests, I'm sure the writer, the farmhouse, the trees and all and sundry are feeling nicely lapped in the bosom.

not a teacher

Last edited:

SanMar

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Hi
I would say it applies to the person rather than the details of what he is seeing but only because the quote seems mainly about his experience of the place. The emphasis here is on him and "lapped in the bosom of plenty" highlights this. But this is just my interpretation. It reads, to me at least, a little strange to highlight the farmhouse within the quote there doesn't seem to be a reason for it.

When you use lap/lapped to mean roughly -take in- is it "lapped up"? Generally that's how I've heard it and use it myself but not sure if this is actually the case.

Not a teacher.
:)

Also I think that the and wouldn't be necessary for the farmhouse.
..."caught glimpses of a little farm-house resting in a green hollow, lapped in the bosom of plenty, and I felt that I was in a prosperous, hospitable, and happy land.

My2cents:)

Last edited:

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland