Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
"I paid for pizza $15 in exact change." If I paid $20 for a pizza that costs 15, could I say that I got $5 back in exact change meaning that I was not shortchanged?

Last edited:

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
"I paid for pizza 15 $ in exact change." If I paid 20 $ for a pizza that costs 15, could I say that I got 5 $ back in exact change meaning that I was not shortchanged?
I suppose you could but it really doesn't sound very natural; "I got $5.00 change" sounds better.
"Exact change" usually refers to a payment of the specific amount required. Many urban bus lines in the U.S. accept "exact change only" in their fare machines, meaning that the box will accept only coins and the driver will not change paper bills.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Ostap, note that we say fifteen dollars but write $15.

Rover

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Ostap, note that we say fifteen dollars but write $15.

Rover
If I were paying for goods to the cashier in a small store and wanted to ask if he would accept a 50-dollar bill, would it be OK to ask "Do you change a 50-dollar bill?"

Last edited:

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
If I were paying for goods to the cashier in a small store and wanted to ask if he would accept a 50-dollar bill, would it be OK to ask "Do you change a 50-dollar bill?"
I'd be more likely to ask "can you change a 50?" "Dollar bill" is implied.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
We use "exact change" as discussed above - If what I purchase is $17.52, I pay with a ten, a five, two ones, two quarters, and two pennies. (Although the 52 cents could be another combination, and I could give the $17 as three fives and two ones, or even 17 ones, etc.) The point is that I give the cashier the exact amount of the sale.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
We use "exact change" as discussed above - If what I purchase is $17.52, I pay with a ten, a five, two ones, two quarters, and two pennies. (Although the 52 cents could be another combination, and I could give the $17 as three fives and two ones, or even 17 ones, etc.) The point is that I give the cashier the exact amount of the sale.

If I were a cashier, could I ask a cusomer if he was done putting groceries on the counter and wanted me start counting "Shall I coun the sale?"?

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine

If I were a cashier, could I ask a customer if he is done putting groceries on the counter and wanted me to start counting "Shall I count the sale?"?

Last edited:

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
If I were a cashier, could I ask a cusomer if he was done putting groceries on the counter and wanted me to start counting "Shall I count the sale?"? No.
Please check you posts for typos.
"Shall I start ringing it up?"

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Actually, I'd be quite surprised by that question. If I've put it on the counter, then that's exactly what I expect the cashier to do. To ask my permission to start is unexpected. Just start scanning and get on with it, I would think.

engee30

Key Member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
England
"Exact change" usually refers to a payment of the specific amount required. Many urban bus lines in the U.S. accept "exact change only" in their fare machines, meaning that the box will accept only coins and the driver will not change paper bills.

♥♦♣♠ NOT A TEACHER ♥♦♣♠
In England, in Swindon in particular, it reads 'Exact fare please', or maybe that was a typical notice on the bus when I was living there.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
♥♦♣♠ NOT A TEACHER ♥♦♣♠
In England, in Swindon in particular, it reads 'Exact fare please', or maybe that was a typical notice on the bus when I was living there.

Guess it was about paying in exact change for the fare when you were riding the bus somewhere..:up:

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
"I paid for pizza $15 in exact change." If I paid $20 for a pizza that costs 15, could I say that I got $5 back in exact change meaning that I was not shortchanged?

The answer is quite logical.

Saying that you got back "$5 in exact change" would be odd because you normally expect to receive the exact amount of change back. Why would they give you more or less? Then they'd have to give you additional money, or you'd have to give them back some... So you only specify when something abnormal happened -- shortchanged. Interestingly, there's no opposite for that.

But as a customer you can give them more than the amount required and they'll give you change. That's part of the "service". Requirement for exact change is normally not assumed.

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
@freezframe: -- shortchanged. Interestingly, there's no opposite for that.

The closest term I can think of is the one I would use myself if I got too much change back – I've been undercharged.

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
@freezframe: -- shortchanged. Interestingly, there's no opposite for that.

The closest term I can think of is the one I would use myself if I got too much change back – I've been undercharged.

I would say "I'm having a good day". ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.