• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bengali; Bangla
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Hello!!!

When we write an official letter, at the end of the letter we add "best regards" followed by our name or "yours faithfully" followed by our name . My question to you is in what occasion or under what circumstances we need to add "best regards"/ "warm regards" and under what circumstances we need to add "yours faithfully"? Please advise.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Re: Hello!!!

In an official letter, I wouldn't add any kind of regards.

Begin 'Dear Sir or Madam' and end 'Yours faithfully'.

Rover

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bengali; Bangla
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Right. So when actually do we use "best regards" or "warm rerards" then? Could you please advise?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

In business correspondence, it depends upon the situation and the relationship you have with the addressee. For example, if the letter is to a valued customer with whom you've done a lot of business, you would probably use "Best regards" or "Warm regards" as a complimentary closing. If the letter is to a vendor (a company from which you are purchasing goods or services) it is more typical to use "Sincerely" or "Sincerely yours" or "Very truly yours." "Yours faithfully" isn't commonly used in AmE.

NOTE: In my experience as a long-time office worker in the US, we tended to only use any form of "Regards" as a complimentary closing when sending correspondence to companies outside of the US - Mexico, Germany, England, etc. Apparently that phrase has more of an "international" feel to it. When corresponding domestically, the typical closing is "Sincerely," "Sincerely yours," "Very truly yours," or "Cordially."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Ouisch View Post
    NOTE: In my experience as a long-time office worker in the US, we tended to only use any form of "Regards" as a complimentary closing when sending correspondence to companies outside of the US - Mexico, Germany, England, etc. Apparently that phrase has more of an "international" feel to it. When corresponding domestically, the typical closing is "Sincerely," "Sincerely yours," "Very truly yours," or "Cordially."
    That's interesting. I never knew about the international aspect. The usage is slightly different here in Canada.

First off, I agree "regards" are strictly for business correspondence. I would never use any degree or flavour of "regards" in a letter to a friend or in a letter to officialdom. If I were at all acquainted with the business contact I was writing to, I would generally put "Regards" before "Yours sincerely." If I knew them well enough to have had lunch with them at least once, it would be "Best regards." And if I had ever got drunk with the person or met his or her spouse, it would be "Warmest (or best) personal regards".

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Just a personal response:

I would never use 'regards' in a purely business letter; there I would use 'with best wishes'. With casual acquaintances, I might use 'regards'; otherwise I use the word fonly or passing on friendly thoughts from my partner or a mutual acquaintance: "Griselda sends her regards". I never use 'best' or 'warmest' regards.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

I would never use Regards in a formal letter- on paper, I use Yours faithfully or Yours sincerely. I use it in business emails with people I have had dealings with.