[General] How to refuse others in a very graceful and polite way?

Status
Not open for further replies.

angelajeff

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
United States
I want to email the apartment office of our school to tell them that I don't want to change my apartment. How should I refuse them in a graceful way? Can I say :"Sorry. I might not be willing to change my apartment? "
Can I use the word "might"? I knew "might" often used to express gentle refusal. Can I use it in this situation? Is this sentense expressed correctly?

Thank you!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Be positive. "Thank you for your offer of a new apartment, but I am very happy in my present one."

magdalena

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Might be willing - very polite but only when you talk about willingness of others - when you use this form to talk about yourself it may sound ironic and have the opposite effect.

Might you be willing to wash these dishes?
Yes I might, when the match is over.

Generally, the expression is a bit dated and so polite that you need to be careful with it as it may sound unnatural.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Also, there's the risk - when you say 'I might not be able to...' that people will understand you to mean there are some circumstances in which you might! A groundsman could say 'If the weather stays like this, the pitch might not be ready for the match on Saturday'; hearing that, the manager might reasonably hope that - if the weather stays fine - it will. If you're staying, use the indicative.

b

angelajeff

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
United States
Thank you all so much! I have changed my email as "I am not very willing to change my apartment. So please....." Will this be better?

Thank you again!!

Status
Not open for further replies.