Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #1

    husband

    Do people often refer to the captain of a ship as "husband"?

  1. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 19,218
    #2

    Re: husband

    Never heard that in my life.

    What makes you ask?

    (Though many ship captains might refer to the sea as their mistress.)
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #3

    Re: husband

    Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    Never heard that in my life.

    What makes you ask?

    (Though many ship captains might refer to the sea as their mistress.)
    As usuall we were given sentences for translation.

    "The crew of the boat consisted of her husband, his two mates, three engineers, twelve firemen and ten able-bodied seamen."

    I found in a dictionary that it's synonymous with the captain.

  2. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 19,218
    #4

    Re: husband

    Not in the US Navy. I can't speak for the rest of the world.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

  3. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #5

    Re: husband

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    "The crew of the boat consisted of her husband, his two mates, three engineers, twelve firemen and ten able-bodied seamen."
    It's the husband of a woman previously mentioned.

    Please give as much context as you can with your original question, Ostap.

  4. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 19,218
    #6

    Re: husband

    I'm so accustomed to seeing ships referred to as "she" that I thought "her" referred to the vessel!
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #7

    Re: husband

    Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post
    It's the husband of a woman previously mentioned.

    Please give as much context as you can with your original question, Ostap.
    I wish I had. Usually we are not given a text to translate but sentences.

  5. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #8

    Re: husband

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    I wish I had. Usually we are not given a text to translate but sentences.
    Yes, Ostap, but you did not give the sentence. Without it, all we could say in answer to your question was 'No'. Once we saw the whole sentence, it became possible to make a reasonable guess.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #9

    Re: husband

    Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post
    Yes, Ostap, but you did not give the sentence. Without it, all we could say in answer to your question was 'No'. Once we saw the whole sentence, it became possible to make a reasonable guess.
    It's in post #3.

  6. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,605
    #10

    Re: husband

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    As usuall we were given sentences for translation.

    "The crew of the boat consisted of her husband, his two mates, three engineers, twelve firemen and ten able-bodied seamen."

    I found in a dictionary that it's synonymous with the captain.
    In which dictionary did you find that "husband" was synonymous with "captain"? The captain of a ship is sometimes known as the Master. Master of a ship legal definition of Master of a ship. Master of a ship synonyms by the Free Online Law Dictionary.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. from her husband
    By ostap77 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 27-Nov-2010, 21:13
  2. [General] Husband
    By jiamajia in forum Pronunciation and Phonetics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-Aug-2010, 08:39
  3. husband
    By twilit1988 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 28-Oct-2008, 13:50
  4. Ex-husband
    By Piak in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-Jun-2003, 20:31

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •