Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Ukraine
Hello,

A question in my test reads as follows:

A monkey is a _________ animal.
a) middle-sized b) medium-sized

I feel that a monkey is a medium-sized animal, but the options given made me think about the difference between the two. When do we use medium-sized, and when do we use middle-sized?
The Macmillan dictionary draws no distinction between the two.
middle-sized town
medium-sized sausepan

Could somebody please comment on using these adjectives?

Thank you.

Verona_82

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Ukraine
I've just looked up the words in LDOCE.
a medium-sized business / a middle-sized company

Looks like there's no substantial difference between the two, BUT it's still a medium-sized animal :roll:

I'm struggling to find any guidelines, but if they are just collocations (and I've come across a bad question), I'll have to face up to this fact.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I'm struggling to find any guidelines, but if they are just collocations (and I've come across a bad question), I'll have to face up to this fact.
I didn't respond when you first posted your question because, although I would have chosen 'medium-sized', I couldn't think of any good reason for rejecting 'middle-sized'. I still can't.

I certainly think it was not a good test question.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I didn't respond when you first posted your question because, although I would have chosen 'medium-sized', I couldn't think of any good reason for rejecting 'middle-sized'. I still can't.

I certainly think it was not a good test question.
I think in BrE it's much more common to say "medium-sized".

Verona_82

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Ukraine
Thank you.
The test is for pre-intermediate students. (!) This reminds me of the purposefully/ purposely case, but it was my mother tongue that helped me that time. The translations of these -sized adjectives are indentical.

I wish authors thought more when writing tests for foreign learners.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I'd be happy if some of them thought at all.
Unfortunately ESL is commercial and largely unregulated. Get monkeys to write tests, pay them peanuts, make more money.

nyota

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Australia
I couldn't find any definite distinction between the two and I see it's not obvious to NESs either. It might well be that it's a matter of collocates. MacMillan and Oxford seem to support what bhai said, that middle-sized is more common in AmE:
Oxford-midsize, MacMillan-middle-sized

Middle-sized can also be shortened to (acc. to those dictionaries): mid-sized, midsized, midsize.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Get monkeys to write tests...
How big? ;-)

(FWIW, I'd call them medium-sized. When I think about, I fancy I use 'medium- sized' as a general expression of size, and 'middle-sized' as an expression of rank in sizes: 'a big one, a middle-sized one and a little one'. But this 'fancy' may be an example of the sort of "distinction for distinctions' sake" that 5jj has mentioned elsewhere.)

b

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
How big? ;-)

b
Medium-sized. (their fingers need to be big enough to type with, but the bigger monkeys tend to consume too many peanuts).;-)
Edit: There is a media baron, a certain Mr M, who I believe works on the same principle when employing "journalists".

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
I couldn't find any definite distinction between the two and I see it's not obvious to NESs either. It might well be that it's a matter of collocates. MacMillan and Oxford seem to support what bhai said, that middle-sized is more common in AmE:
Oxford-midsize, MacMillan-middle-sized

Middle-sized can also be shortened to (acc. to those dictionaries): mid-sized, midsized, midsize.
I do not believe that bhaisahab said that middle-sized is more common in AmE; it is not. I have usually heard both medium-sized and mid-sized, but middle-sized only in the context that BobK suggests.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I do not believe that bhaisahab said that middle-sized is more common in AmE; it is not. I have usually heard both medium-sized and mid-sized, but middle-sized only in the context that BobK suggests.
I didn't say that middle-sized is more common in AmE. I said, "I think in BrE it's much more common to say "medium-sized".

nyota

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Australia
Oops. Apologies, a faulty assumption.

Having seen midsize/midsized marked in the dictionary as chiefly North American, I extended it over middle-sized and then over what bhai said, and I ended up with:

'* I think in BrE it's much more common to say medium-sized '(much more common than in AmE),'' while what he was saying was,
'I think in BrE it's much more common to say medium-sized' (rather than middle-sized).

Status
Not open for further replies.