Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
1. Do Americans use the expression "How long has he assumed the presidency?"?
If that's not the case, how can you revise this sentence?

2. When some producers had watched a TV show made by someone else and made another show in a similar format, how can we describe the situation? Should I say "A show was made after B show"?

3. What do you say when a person didn't keep a promise? "He broke the promise"? Is there any more frequently used expression?

4. What do you say about the person who was kicked out of the survival show because he got the least votes? "He was out of the show"?

5. What can I say when a producer was replaced with another because he didn't do well on his job? Can I say "He got fired from/on the show"?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi Cynthia,
Please post one question per post. Otherwise, the answers get confusing.
1. Do Americans use the expression "How long has he assumed the presidency?"?
If that's not the case, how can you revise this sentence?

Not normally. If something happened to the president and someone else had to take over the office, you could use this, but throughout most of our history, they are elected. How long has he been president? When did he take office (as president)?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Gerald Ford assumed the presidency, didn't he?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Gerald Ford assumed the presidency, didn't he?

Yes, as did Lyndon Johnson and Harry Truman.

But isn't the real UsingEnglish answer that "How long has he assumed the presidency?" is unidiomatic?

One can ask "How long has it been since he assumed the presidency?" or simply "How long has he been President?

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
2. When some producers had watched a TV show made by someone else and made another show in a similar format, how can we describe the situation? Should I say "A show was made after B show"?

"Show A" is a remake of "Show B"

3. What do you say when a person didn't keep a promise? "He broke the promise"? Is there any more frequently used expression?

"He broke the/his promise" is correct

4. What do you say about the person who was kicked out of the survival show because he got the least votes? "He was out of the show"?

He was voted off (the show).

5. What can I say when a producer was replaced with another because he didn't do well on his job? Can I say "He got fired from/on the show"?

He got fired from the show.

but you might want to say something like "John Smith was replaced with Jane Doe (as producer of the show)"
and/or add some explanation as to why.

:-D

cynthia550

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Thanks, guys!!
I was confused of the expression "assume the presidency" because it means that the person becomes the president either by election or in any other way when it is translated into Korean.
Anyway thanks again^^

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Thanks, guys!!
I was confused of the expression "assume the presidency" because it means that the person becomes the president either by election or in any other way when it is translated into Korean.
Anyway thanks again^^

One of the meanings of "to assume" is:

formal
to officially start a new job or position

He formally assumes the presidency next week.
She has been invited to assume the role of mentor.

assume - definition. American English definition of assume by Macmillan Dictionary

which to me clearly includes Presidents that have been freely elected through normal democratic procedure and refers not to the actual election but to the formal ceremony (inauguration).

However, as pointed above, "How long has he assumed the presidency?" is not something you'd say. You can ask "When did he assume the presidency?" (if you want to know about the inauguration date) or "How long has he been the President?"

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
which to me clearly includes Presidents that have been freely elected through normal democratic procedure and refers not to the actual election but to the formal ceremony (inauguration).

You might be able to make an argument from the dictionary, but in real life, Americans do not talk about "assuming" the Presidency. (In normal circumstances of the consequence of elections.)

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
You might be able to make an argument from the dictionary, but in real life, Americans do not talk about "assuming" the Presidency. (In normal circumstances of the consequence of elections.)

No, it's not a word you would hear on the street but you will find it in written sources. It is formal, as the dictionary entry indicates. The OP, however, posted,

"I was confused of the expression "assume the presidency" because it means that the person becomes the president either by election or in any other way when it is translated into Korean."

My reply was addressing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.