[Grammar] The book reads well, or How to recognize the Active and the Passive??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mary Bright

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
Asking different questions on other tips of English Grammar, I faced some difficulty in telling where the subject can be active and where it can be not.
Why can I say,

'The book reads well'?

Doesn't it mean that the book reads itself?

How not to make a building 'to form itslef'?

nyota

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Australia
***I'm not a teacher***

The book reads well means that the book is good to read and so, anyone can read and enjoy it. It points to the quality of the patient (the book) itself. The agent in this sort of constructions (middle voice) is unexpressed because it's 'anyone'.

For example, you can't say poems write easily. Writing refers more to the quality of the agent. Poems aren't easy to write for anybody who can write.

Middle voice seems to be something between active and passive voice. Let's consider a couple of examples:

1. These tiles lay easily.

Lay is a transitive verb that should have a subject and an object. Grammatically, tiles is the subject but where's the object? This is the feature of the middle voice - one of the participants is not visible.

Also, with transitive verbs you should have an agent and a patient. The agent does something and the patient undergoes the action. So tiles is clearly the patient. Notice it's not 'normal' for a patient to be the subject - that's another feature of the middle voice.
The patient is also the subject in passive voice but the grammar's different. In other words: middle voice has the same grammar as active voice but the subject is a patient like in the passive voice.

2. Woolen clothes wash easily.
3. Woolen clothes shrink easily.

(2) is an example of the middle voice, (3) is active voice. Why? Because in the middle voice, the verb has to be transitive and 'shrink' is intransitive. Woolen clothes shrink on their own, but they don't wash on their own. In the case of washing you need an agent; in the case of shrinking - you don't, which is why it's active voice.

In the middle voice you also need an adverb at the end. However, it cannot by any adverb:

4.*VW drives cautiously.
5.*VW drives dangerously.

(4) and (5) are incorrect because cars can't behave dangerously or cautiously. The adverb must describe the quality of the patient. That's why middle voice is often used as a marketing tool - if it refers to the quality of the patient, not the characteristics of the agent/user:

(6) VW drives easily.

The ease of driving comes from the quality of the car itself and has nothing to do with the driver or his skills - at least that's what they want you to think. ;)

Yet another thing - the subject in the middle voice has to be inanimate, so you didn't confuse it with the agent:

7.*Babies wash easily.
8.*My grandma frightens easily.

Technically, babies and grandma are patients here but it could be understood that the babies wash something or that the grandma frightens others, which is not the point.

9. Softwood saws easily.
10. Softwood is sawn easily.
11. People saw softwood easily.

In (9), the ease is due to the quality of the wood; in (10), the ease is due to the quality of the agent. (11) is rather awkward because it concerns people in general - everybody, and if so, why even mention that?

You could also say that (12) cadillacs sell themselves which suggests that selling these cars requires next to no effort, and again it's about the quality of the patient not the agent's skills.

P.S. I'm pretty sure the examples were taken from a book but unfortunately I couldn't find its title in my lecture notes. :-(

On edit: I think I've found the source - Fellbaum, Ch. 1986. The middle in English. Bloomington: Indiana University Press.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Middle voice seems to be something between active and passive voice.
I don't use the same terminology as nyota, but that's a clear picture of how certain verbs are used.

I do, however, disagree on a couple of points.

There doesn't always have to be an explicit adverb: Bookseller: Novels sell, biographies don't.
The subject doesn't always have to be inanimate; I think we can say My grandma frightens/scares easily.

nyota

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Australia
I don't use the same terminology as nyota, but that's a clear picture of how certain verbs are used.

I do, however, disagree on a couple of points.

There doesn't always have to be an explicit adverb: Bookseller: Novels sell, biographies don't.

Now that you've noticed it 5jj, the adverb can be quite easily removed in negatives, too: Red wine spots do not wash.

Then perhaps it'd be better to say that the type of information the message contains also plays a role? For example, you wouldn't say *VW drives as it's pretty much obvious that what you do with cars is drive them. Novels sell is not necessarily that evident, it may depend on the market, current readers' preferences etc.

The subject doesn't always have to be inanimate; I think we can say My grandma frightens/scares easily.

You're right. I should've said it's more ambiguous, not incorrect.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Then perhaps it'd be better to say that the type of information the message contains also plays a role? For example, you wouldn't say *VW drives as it's pretty much obvious that what you do with cars is drive them. Novels sell is not necessarily that evident, it may depend on the market, current readers' preferences etc.

I haven't given it enought thought yet, but you could well be right.

I think we can say 'My grandma frightens/scares easily'.
You're right. I should've said it's more ambiguous, not incorrect.
In the case of grandma scaring easily, I don't think there is any realistic chance of ambiguity. In such situations, then the subject can be animate - 'My daughter rarely sunbathes, because she burns easily'.
Despite my picking up of the grandma sentence, I agree that the subject in such constructions is usually inanimate (because of the ambiguity you suggest with animate subjects), and it's a useful point to make.

Mary Bright

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
Although this theme was already discussed in some past (I found that out only after having created my own thread), I think this, together with some fivejedjon's remarks, is an excellent explanation of the middle voice. Everything's as clear as day. Particularly to me, the lanquage learner. Thank you, nyota! :up:

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

I THINK (repeat: THINK) that we may be discussing so-called ERGATIVE verbs.

If you go to the search box at this website and type in "ergative verbs," you will

find more information

in addition to the great explanations in this thread.

And The Oxford Dictionary of English Grammar gives these examples:

My shirt has torn. (I have torn my shirt)

The door opened. (Someone opened the door)

The meat is cooking. (I'm cooking the meat)

Mary Bright

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus

I THINK (repeat: THINK) that we may be discussing so-called ERGATIVE verbs.

If you go to the search box at this website and type in "ergative verbs," you will

find more information

in addition to the great explanations in this thread.

And The Oxford Dictionary of English Grammar gives these examples:

My shirt has torn. (I have torn my shirt)

The door opened. (Someone opened the door)

The meat is cooking. (I'm cooking the meat)

An interesting remark. I've had a look at the ergative verbs. Is it the same as the middle voice?

Also, the verb 'open' is what is always in my mind, better say, subconsciousness ). I remember learning the construction 'The shop opens at 8.00', not 'The shop is opened at 8.00'. Does that mean that in such sentences this verb is used only in the way shown above? Really eager to find that out :cool:.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Is it the same as the middle voice?
No, but's it a different way of looking at similar situations. As I said in post #3, "I don't use the same terminology as nyota". I would discuss this type of sentence only in terms of ergative verbs. For me, the form of the verb is clearly active voice; there is no 'middle voice' in English.

I did not comment on this earlier, because I think the 'middle voice' idea is one possible way of considering it, even if I don't accept it. Nyota's post dealt with the question quite successfully.

Last edited:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

'The book reads well'?

Doesn't it mean that the book reads itself?

I think you know it doesn't.

Interestingly, alongside the medio-passive 'the book sells well' there is a metaphorical active-voice reflexive verb: 'The book's so popular that it sells itself.' This can be followed by a full-on active verb, making the metaphor even clearer: '...It flies off the shelves.'

b

PS They're both informal, though they can be used in quite formal situations between professionals in the book trade.

Last edited:

Mary Bright

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
I think you know it doesn't.

You're right, I know. It's just of no help when asking something ;-).

PS They're both informal, though they can be used in quite formal situations between professionals in the book trade.

So, I can freely use the ergative verbs in informal conversation, can I? As a matter of fact, I'd really like to know how often native speakers use them in everyday speech.

Last edited:

Mary Bright

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
I've got the understanding of the middle voice now, more or less. Though the sentence 'The shop opens at 8.00' is still in question for me.

If I catch the meaning of 'The clothes wash easily' or 'The books sell well', where (if I got it right) the action, expressed by the verb, belongs to some extent to the subject, I get confused when trying to imagine the shop as an autonomic unit, that is able to open and close itslef :shock:.

I imagine people keeping this shop, opening or closing it at a certain time. So, I would rather say 'The shop is opened' than 'The shop opens'.

What do I consider wrong?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
We use them a good deal, but not all transitive verbs have an intransitive pair that behaves like this. 'He sells the book' and 'the book sells' are both possible; but 'he named the ship' does not have the analogue 'the ship named', nor does 'he drew a giraffe' have the pair 'the giraffe drew'.

There may be a way of knowing when a verb can behave like this. But my guess would be that such a 'rule' would be so complex that it would be easier to learn the collocations anyway.

b

PS This is a response to #14

Last edited:

Mary Bright

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
Thank you, BobK, for help with understanding ;-)

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I've got the understanding of the middle voice now, more or less. Though the sentence 'The shop opens at 8.00' is still in question for me.

If I catch the meaning of 'The clothes wash easily' or 'The books sell well', where (if I got it right) the action, expressed by the verb, belongs to some extent to the subject, I get confused when trying to imagine the shop as an autonomic unit, that is able to open and close itslef :shock:.

I imagine people keeping this shop, opening or closing it at a certain time. So, I would rather say 'The shop is opened' than 'The shop opens'.

What do I consider wrong?

(1) This middle and ergative verb matter is too difficult for me to

understand, but I did find something on the Web that may help you

to better understand the "shop opens" matter.

(2) It's a long quote, but I think that I may legally quote it if I give

full credit at the end.

(3) "In their book on grammar teaching, Celce-Murcia and

Larsen-Freeman (1999) ofter another view of active voice

constructions with inanimate subjects and discuss them as

"middle voice," e.g. The store opens in five minutes. They point

out that the "middle voice" usually occurs with change-of-state

verbs such as verbs of cooking or physical movements, when the

use of the active voice does not imply an agent."

(4) The complete scholarly article can be read by googling:

"Why English Passive is Difficult to Teach (and Learn)."

The author is Professor Eli Hinkel, Seattle University. At the beginning

of his paper, he also gives credit to other scholars.

Mary Bright

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
Thanks so much, Parser ;-). I will surely get on this link :up: as I'm getting pretty interested in this matter. Though now, my brain seems to get overloaded... :halfrobo:

nyota

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Australia
You've already noticed the size of this post, but please don't get discouraged by it OR by the amount of quoted text! I've decided to give it in this form because it reads well and I couldn't explain it better myself.

I've found some information on ergatives and "middle constructions"/ pseudo-intransitives in English grammar: a university course (2006) by Angela Downing and Philip Locke and in an article by Maarten Lemmens titled Lexical constraints on constructional flexibility: English ‘Middable’ Verbs (1998)***.

Downing and Locke put ergatives and pseudo-intransitives (what was referred to earlier as 'middle constructions') under the Causative processes heading, so that gives us an idea of where we're standing.

Ergatives

"The following examples illustrate a transitive-causative structure (a controlling, purposeful, responsible Agent directs its energy towards something or someone (the Affected), so that this undergoes the action named by the verb, with a consequent change of state):

Paul opened the door.
Pat boiled the water.
I rang the bell.

From this perspective, the action of boiling, ringing, etc. is initiated by a controlling Agent or a Force participant: The sun melted the ice.

The Affected is, however, the essential participant, the one primarily involved in the action. It is the door that opens, the water that boils and the bell that rings. If we conceptualise the situation from a different angle, in which no Agent initiator is present, we encode the process as ‘happening’ of its own accord. An Agent can’t be added. This is the anti-causative structure.

The door opened.
The water boiled.
The bell rang.

When the Affected object of a transitive clause (e.g. the bell) is the same as the Affected subject of an intransitive clause, we have an ergative alternation or ergative pair, as in I rang the bell (transitive) and the bell rang (intransitive). [...]

The test for recognising an ergative pair is that the causative-transitive, twoparticipant structure must always allow for the corresponding one-participant, anticausative structure. Compare the previous examples (e.g. he opened the door/the door opened) with the following, in which the first, although transitive, is not causative. There is no intransitive counterpart, and consequently, no ergative pair:

Pelé kicked the ball. *The ball kicked."

Pesudo-intransitives

"A further type of Affected Subject occurs with certain processes (break, read, translate, wash, tan, fasten, lock) which are intrinsically transitive, but in this construction are construed as intransitive, with an Affected subject.

Glass breaks easily.
This box doesn’t shut/close/lock/fasten properly.
Colloquial language translates badly.
Some synthetic fibres won’t wash. Usually they dry-clean.
Fair skin doesn’t tan quickly, it turns red.

Pseudo-intransitives differ from other intransitives in the following ways:

• They express a general property or propensity of the entity to undergo (or not undergo) the process in question. Compare glass breaks easily with the glass broke, which refers to a specific event.
• Pseudo-intransitives tend to occur in the present tense.
• The verb is accompanied by negation, or a modal (often will/won’t), or an adverb such as easily, well, any of which specify the propensity or otherwise of the thing to undergo the process.
• A cause is implied but an Agent can’t be added in a by-phrase.
• There is no corresponding transitive construction, either active or passive, that exactly expresses the same meaning as these intransitives. To say, for instance, Colloquial language is translated badly is to make a statement about translators’ supposed lack of skill, rather than about a property of colloquial language. The difficulty of even paraphrasing this pattern shows how specific and useful it is.

Ed broke the glass. (active)
The glass was broken. (by Ed) (be-passive)
The glass broke. (anti-causative)
Glass breaks easily. (pseudo-intransitive)
"

Lemmens on middle constructions in reference to ergatives:

"Keyser & Roeper (1984) argue that it [the middle construction] differs from one-participant constructions with ergative verbs, such as The ball bounces or The boat sinks. They observe that middle constructions “state propositions that are held to be generally true […] they do not describe particular events in time” (1984: 384).

Similarly, Fagan notes that “middles […] are not used to report events, but to attribute a specific property to some object” (1988: 200). Consequently, Keyser & Roeper say, middle constructions, e.g.

Bureaucrats bribe easily or Greek translates easily,

do not allow the imperative (*Translate, Greek!), whereas ‘true’ ergative verbs do, e.g. Sink, boat! or Bounce, ball!

Further, the middle construction necessarily implies an agent: they “state the doability of an action as it can be, or is, performed by a non-specific agent, i.e., anybody” (Fellbaum 1985: 29). The notion of feasibility and that of the implied agent have been observed in the literature, e.g. Fiengo (1980) notes that middles retain an implicit agent whereas ergatives do not, Levin (1993: 5) talks about “an understood but unexppressed agent”. It is a point also made by Langacker who says about the following sentences

The window opened only with great difficulty. (Langacker 1991)
The dried mud scraped off effortlessly. (ibid.)

that “while the ease or difficulty of carrying out the action is attributed to inherent properties of the subject, it can only be assessed as easy or hard in relation to the capacity of an actual or potential agent” (1991: 334)."

***In case the link is no longer available "the analysis of the English middle construction presented in the paper has been incorporated as a separate section in the author's more elaborate analysis of English lexical causatives: Lexical Perspectives on Transitivity and Ergativity. Causative Constructions in English. Amsterdam & Philadelphia: John Benjamins (1998), Ch. 4, 4.2, pp. 71-85. [ISBN: 90 272 3671 2; 268p.]."

Last edited:

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks, Nyota, for the great article. It was really helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.