Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi,
Is this term only used in financial cases? I'm looking for a word referring to a person who, like a hero, comes to help one in the nick of time.

Thanks in advance again.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Hi,
Is this term only used in financial cases? I'm looking for a word referring to a person who, like a hero, comes to help one in the nick of time.
Well, imagine...

You are going to be severely punished if you do not find the correct answer to a question about English within twelve hours; you post it in this forum, and nobody answers. Then, five minutes before the deadline, I post the answer you need. I am your white knight. :)

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hi,

Not only there. For example:

Sometimes, she did wish she was sixteen again. She'd been a normal girl, once. She'd dreamed of a white knight who would rescue her. Someone who would never hit her. Someone who would hold her close and tell her she was finally safe.
The perfect husband/The other daughter by Lisa Gardner, 2008

For more examples and better understanding see CORPORA: 45-410 million words each: free online access (just type "white knight" in the search box).

"Deus ex machina" has a different but similar meaning.

Last edited:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
:oops: Corrected. Thank you.

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Hi,

Thanks in advance again.

Batman? No, that's the Dark Knight.

A white knight and/or a knight in shining armour (armor for AmE) come to the rescue of damsels in distress and various other people.

Status
Not open for further replies.