• Home Country:
      • Argentina
      • Current Location:
      • Mexico

companywide

Is "companywide" correct?
    I have seen it in many websites.
    I have found an entry in Wiktionary.
    However, I have not found it in Oxford Online, Britannica Online, Cambridge Online.

If the word is correct, then please mention reliable sources to support the validity of the word. Websites using this word may not be reliable sources; by reliable sources I mean universities, encyclopaedies, etc.

If the word is not correct, then please explain with it is so widely used in many websites.

Thank you.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: companywide

-wide is added to some nouns to create adjectives that mean "applying to the whole area" (area being specified by this noun)

For a dictionary source see Wide 1c:

extending throughout a specified area or scope —usually used in combination <nationwide> <industry-wide>

Other examples: worldwide (applying to/extending through the whole world), countrywide (applying to/extending through the whole country)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Re: companywide

Quote Originally Posted by leonardo74 View Post
    If the word is correct, then please mention reliable sources to support the validity of the word. Websites using this word may not be reliable sources; by reliable sources I mean universities, encyclopaedies, etc.

If the word is not correct, then please explain with it is so widely used in many websites.
    A word does not have to be in a dictionary to be acceptable. Such verbs as 'google, twittter, tweet, SMS, text' were perfectly acceptable for some time before they made their entry into the dictionaries.

On the other hand, websites, texts, emails, etc may commonly use words that are not accepted in formal written English.

Time is the arbiter.