Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Details of the meeting had been circulated well in advance /beforehand.

What's the difference between 'in advance' and 'beforehand'? There's no difference in that sentence. Are they interchangeable? They are in that sentence.

Thank you in advance [STRIKE](beforehand?)[/STRIKE]. They're not interchangeable there.

Rover

nyota

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Australia
I've always been uneasy about "thanking somebody in advance". I read it may be considered a bit rude as it suggests you're not eager to produce a follow-up response and also, it sort of assumes you'll get an answer. ;)

Yet I think that a lot of users in this forum end their queries this way precisely for the opposite reason - they want to be polite. I've never seen any of the teachers or NESs complain about how the phrase is used here (I must admit I didn't do any thread digging though) but maybe you're just being understanding and polite yourself? ;-)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I've always been uneasy about "thanking somebody in advance". I read it may be considered a bit rude as it suggests you're not eager to produce a follow-up response and also, it sort of assumes you'll get an answer. ;)

Yet I think that a lot of users in this forum end their queries this way precisely for the opposite reason - they want to be polite. I've never seen any of the teachers or NESs complain about how the phrase is used here (I must admit I didn't do any thread digging though) but maybe you're just being understanding and polite yourself? ;-)
I, personally, don't regard it as impolite. I appreciate the polite thought behind the words.

What does make me less than happy sometimes is when members give some thought to an answer and then receive no sign from the person asking the question that they have even read it. We are not after effusive thanks for doing something that we enjoy doing, but some acknowledgement, such as clicking on 'like' or writing 'That cleared it up/I understand now' would not come amiss. For me, thanking in advance does not mean that nothing else is required.

Mary Bright

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus

:loling: I do apologize then for using it, for I personally meant nothing but thanking everyone who who would answer my questions for their part.

I think this is a good thread to create, cuz', dare to assert, the majority of English learners do not know about this particular meaning of 'in advance' and 'beforehand', yet no one really wants to be impolite, just the opposite.

Mary Bright

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
I, personally, don't regard it as impolite. I appreciate the polite thought behind the words.

What does make me less than happy sometimes is when members give some thought to an answer and then receive no sign from the person asking the question that they have even read it. We are not after effusive thanks for doing something that we enjoy doing, but some acknowledgement, such as clicking on 'like' or writing 'That cleared it up/I understand now' would not come amiss. For me, thanking in advance does not mean that nothing else is required.

Fair enough. Such 'thanks' are really rude, considering the part you, English teachers and those who do not teach but just want to help, take in our jams with English.

The thought I just thought (hope I can say that :cool:) that there might be some shy learners or learners who do not know how to thank in a proper way. So they prefer not to say anything than to say something awkward and that will be inappropriate. Of course, it doesn't justify every learner who acts this way. Just there may be some exceptions ;-)

And then, won't you get tired of reading every time when discussing some matter with an English learner, 'thank you', 'thank you', 'thank you' after every respond of yours? :)

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's not the "thanks" that are important -- it's knowing that what was written was understood and was helpful.

The person can "like" or just write "Got it! ;-)" and we'll know.

I also have no problem with "thanks in advance." I use it at work all the time, and I always respond after the person has sent whatever I've asked for with another thank you.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
And then, won't you get tired of reading every time when discussing some matter with an English learner, 'thank you', 'thank you', 'thank you' after every respond of yours? :)
That's why the chance to click on like is so useful. It takes no time to do, and the message takes no time to read. It is a simple acknowledgement.

Of course, acknowledgement of every exchange in an on-going dialogue is unnecessary and, sometimes, inappropriate- the fact that you are responding to an answer is in itself an acknowledgement that you have read the answer. As your post #6 was a response to my #4, I would be surprised if you clicked like on #4.

I must add that I do NOT expect thanks for what I do, and I am sure that most people in this forum don't either. We take part in this forum because we enjoy it.It is just that sometimes I give a detailed answer to a question. When I look back a few hours later to see if there is a follow-up question, there is no sign that my answer has been read. I then look back the following day, and then a couple of days later, and still no sign. I begin to wonder if it was worth answering - perhaps the person who asked just posted the question and forgot it. That's when the
like tell me that I didn't waste my time.

ps. while I was writing this, Barb posted a similar, and much more concise, message.

Mary Bright

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
I've just created the thread concerning this, but want to say some words in response.

That's why the chance to click on like is so useful. It takes no time to do, and the message takes no time to read. It is a simple acknowledgement.

I can't say for other learners, but personally I took the like sign as literally 'I like what you wrote here'. Of course, now I understand its another meaning, too. But initially, I just was making guesses about what it really meant :lol:.

Of course, acknowledgement of every exchange in an on-going dialogue is unnecessary and, sometimes, inappropriate- the fact that you are responding to an answer is in itself an acknowledgement that you have read the answer. As your post #6 was a response to my #4, I would be surprised if you clicked like[/U on #4.

It would just mean 'I like it' or 'Agree';-)

I must add that I do NOT expect thanks for what I do, and I am sure that most people in this forum don't either. We take part in this forum because we enjoy it.

Even if it is, I believe that all kinds of assistance, especially those ones that concern teaching, must be thanked for. Of course, this is just my point of view, but everyone has found himself in this respond-to-a-question situation at least once, so everyone must understand what it is.

joham

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Never eat a piece of fruit without washing it beforehand.
The sentence above is taken from LONGMAN DICTIONARY OF AMERICAN ENGLISH.
Can we say 'Never eat a piece of fruit without washing it in advance'?
I'm still confused by these two words. Could you help me again?

Thank you in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.