Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
"I am dissatisfied/unsatisfied with the text you've written."

I've done some reading on the differences between "dissatisfied" and "unsatisfied," but I'm not sure that I quite get them. Could someone provide a clear explanation? Are both words possible in my example?

Thanks!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I am unsatisfied if I haven't got what I wanted, dissatisfied if what I got wasn't good enough. In your example, it would be dissatisfied - for me.

I stressed the first word of my answer. I am not putting this forward as a response that will satisfy everybody.

minnieuk

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain

I've done some reading on the differences between "dissatisfied" and "unsatisfied," but I'm not sure that I quite get them. Could someone provide a clear explanation? Are both words possible in my example?

Thanks!

Only a person can be dissatisfied whereas an abstract thing can be unsatisfied e.g. thirst, hunger, need

unsatisfied implies that a wish, need, or expectation that previously existed has not been satisfied; dissatisfied implies no such prior existence, but simply registers a failure to be satisfied

dissatisfied apples to people who are unhappy, frustrated with something

unsatisfied refers to needing more

for example

Jackie was dissatified with the teacher's answer to her question

They were dissatisfied with the standard of care offered by their local hospital

Jackie had eated two bags of crisps but her hunger was still unsatisfied

His thirst was unsatisfied so he needed more water

Route21

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Thailand
Last edited:

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
I think "unsatisfied" could also work in my example.

Let's assume that someone really likes another person's style of writing. So she asks that person to write something for her. And he does. But that doesn't quench her literary thirst, so she says, "I am unsatisfied with the text you wrote; I want more."

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

Let's assume that someone really likes another person's style of writing. So she asks that person to write something for her. And he does. But that doesn't quench her literary thirst, so she says, "I am unsatisfied with the text you wrote; I want more."
I wouldn't use it like that. I prefer "Your text/writing left me feeling unsatisfied; I want more".

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I agree. Part of the problem is that both words are ferquently possible; it depends on how the speaker feels at the moment of speaking. The result of this is that the words frequently appear to be interchangeable.

However, minnnieuk and R21 are right - Only a person can be 'dissatisfied', whereas an abstract thing can be 'unsatisfied' e.g. thirst, hunger, need.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

:up: If you look at what 5jj wrote, you'll see that he agrees - you 'haven't got what [you] wanted'. His last words applied to a general context.
I am unsatisfied if I haven't got what I wanted, dissatisfied if what I got wasn't good enough. In your example, it would be dissatisfied - for me.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.