• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

Allergies

I have a question concerning allergies. I'm writing a homework about allergies and want to use to right phrases for it.

If I have some allergies, am I an "allergic" or is this not a common phrase? Should I better use a "person with allergies" or something totally different?

Furthermore, I'm searching for the professional translation for the term "Etagenwechsel". I only found a phrase: "shift from the upper to the lower airways", but isn't there just one word for it?

I hope someone can help me :)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: Allergies

Quote Originally Posted by AllergicMo View Post
    I have a question concerning allergies. I'm writing a homework about allergies and want to use to right phrases for it.

If I have some allergies, am I an "allergic" or is this not a common phrase? Should I better use a "person with allergies" or something totally different?
    No, you're not an 'allergic'. You can say "an allergic person" or "allergic people" or "people with allergies".
    There are some illnesses in which you can use that phrasing - eg. "I'm a diabetic, asthmatic, schizophrenic ..." but not "I'm an allergic".

Furthermore, I'm searching for the professional translation for the term "Etagenwechsel". I only found a phrase: "shift from the upper to the lower airways", but isn't there just one word for it?
    Here's how someone else explained it: Etagenwechsel > The disease later moves into a new stage or phase.
    There's no exact word for this (to the extent that I understand the German, which I guess means "change of stage"). The lay term is "His cold has gone onto his chest." In pathological terms, it would be a change from common cold -> pharyngitis -> tracheo-bronchitis -> pneumonia. We'd talk about a 'progression' from one illness or stage to another.

I hope someone can help me :)
    R.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

Re: Allergies

You can also be allergic to something. Many children are allergic to peanuts.