Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Canada
Hey, what does "what is up" mean? More importantly, what should we respond to this?

Thanks.

Last edited:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
All of the following concerns AmE only.

First of all, it isn't "What is up?". It's "What's up?"

It used to be (and often still is) a casual and friendly greeting similar to "What's new?" except that "What's new?" generally requires some prior greeting such as "Hello". "What's up?" can be interpreted as a request to know what is going on, or simply as an invitation to start a conversation.

In the last fifteen years or so, it seems to be evolving into a generic greeting with very few connotations, similar to "Hi", and people have started writing it as "Wassup".

Therefore, to answer your second question, if somebody greets you with "What's up?" you can start a conversation about recent happenings. Or you can just reply "Hi" or "Hello", and you can turn the tables by saying "Not much. What's new with you?"

I remember about a dozen years ago visiting a small American city and checking into the best hotel in town. It was certainly no five-star place, but it did claim to be the best in town and probably was. I approached the front desk and was astonished when the clerk turned around, smiled and said "Wassup." I'd been expecting something more like "Good evening, sir."

I wouldn't say "Wassup" is common, and many people would consider it dialect. But it is increasingly heard.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
As probus said, his comments were about AmE.

'What's up?' used in this way still sounds strange to many speakers of BrE. To us it means, "What is wrong? What's the problem?'

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I remember about a dozen years ago visiting a small American city and checking into the best hotel in town. It was certainly no five-star place, but it did claim to be the best in town and probably was. I approached the front desk and was astonished when the clerk turned around, smiled and said "Wassup." I'd been expecting something more like "Good evening, sir."

I wouldn't say "Wassup" is common, and many people would consider it dialect. But it is increasingly heard.

Sometimes I forget to be all proper and say "what's up?" to a student. :-(

bagzi94

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Serbian
Home Country
Serbia
Current Location
Serbia
Something is up means Something is going on, right?

wang.cupid

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Canada
All of the following concerns AmE only.

First of all, it isn't "What is up?". It's "What's up?"

It used to be (and often still is) a casual and friendly greeting similar to "What's new?" except that "What's new?" generally requires some prior greeting such as "Hello". "What's up?" can be interpreted as a request to know what is going on, or simply as an invitation to start a conversation.

In the last fifteen years or so, it seems to be evolving into a generic greeting with very few connotations, similar to "Hi", and people have started writing it as "Wassup".

Therefore, to answer your second question, if somebody greets you with "What's up?" you can start a conversation about recent happenings. Or you can just reply "Hi" or "Hello", and you can turn the tables by saying "Not much. What's new with you?"

Thank you and all other guys very much!

Mr_Ben

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Switzerland
Something is up means Something is going on, right?

Yes, but more like something's wrong. For example, "I think something's up with the mail server, I haven't received any email for 3 days" "Something's up with Tina, I've never seen her so quiet."

Vidor

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
not a teacher

"What's up?" can still be used as an interrogatory meaning "what is happening" or "what is going on" but I agree that it also has become something of a generic greeting.

Status
Not open for further replies.