Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I feel there is too much crypticness here. Please, let's be nice to one another. Hucky, if there's something on your mind, why not say it openly? It would cause less tension.

Sorry if nothing like that is going on and I'm meddling unnecessarily.

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
The thing is, I think it's funny. You cannot say whether something is funny or not, only whether it's funny or not to you.

LOL! ROFL! – He who laughs last, laughs longest. Your thesis has proven right again: What is funny depends on the subjectivity of the respective individual.

Well, I for one think that´s a good one, nay one of the best ever! It has even got a tinge of the tragicomic. You will certainly not find it funny. But that´s really unequalled: a harmless question has changed your identity. Meantime, you have mutated into an English native speaker. That´s what science calls evolution! (A former thread member will be in raptures about the phrase evolving language and feel confirmed in her views.) Linguists, who will rejoice, should be made aware of this rare phenomenon of a speaker´s transition from one native language to another, in doing so even skipping the borderlines of different linguistic branches, from Slavonic to Germanic. In face of the unfortunate outcome, however, they will lament the progress achieved by speaking two mother tongues (just two?). Here is a real-life example (quotation):

Native language: Canadian English, Russian

If you still know him now, you would say:
I knew Tom since when he was just five years old.
I have known Tom since when he was just five years old. ( I would rather use this.)

This lady doesn´t speak English, but volumes about her "native language"!

You are more than welcome to keep your views and opinions on me or my native language to yourself. I have absolutely no interest in you or in whatever you're typing here. Get over yourself.

If you, however, persist in the same vein, I'll complain about you for harassment.

cheers

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Let's stand down, folks. The conversation has moved from a language discussion to a personal one. Is there more commentary on the original topic? If not, I can close the thread.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I will close the thread. Comments such as This lady doesn´t speak English, but volumes about her "native language"! are just out to start a fight. Please stop it.

Status
Not open for further replies.