Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
hello, Teachers, WHich one is correct? Thank you!:)

----_________ Who is her daughter?
____The girl on the right wearing blue jeans.

A Which B Who

I chose B, but the answer given in the book is A.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

A Which B Who

Both are possible.

Soup

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
China

A Which B Who

Both are used, true, but the author of the book chose A Which because a choice is offered; i.e., Which (of the two girls) is her daughter? The girl on the right.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Both are used, true, but the author of the book chose A Which because a choice is offered; i.e., Which (of the two girls) is her daughter? The girl on the right.
This is the sort of test question I loathe. The author may well have had good reasons for preferring one form, but if the other is possible, then it is unreasonable to reject it, in my opinion.

engee30

Key Member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
England

♥♦♣♠ NOT A TEACHER ♥♦♣♠
Or Which (one/girl) is her daughter?, when you cannot say how many girls the author may have had in mind.

Soup

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
China
This is the sort of test question I loathe. The author may well have had good reasons for preferring one form, but if the other is possible but not the best answer, then it is unreasonable to reject it is faulty logic, in my opinion too.

;-)

Soup

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
China
♥♦♣♠ NOT A TEACHER ♥♦♣♠
Or Which (one/girl) is her daughter?, when you cannot say how many girls the author may have had in mind.
Right. There's a choice. Nice addition, engee30.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
If the test is aimed at intermediate level or above, perhaps it's OK. For anybody below that level it's not obvious why it's better to point at a photo of some girls and say "Which one is her daughter?" rather than "Who (amongst them) is her daughter" is . They will, after all, hear both from native speakers.

Soup

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
China
If the test is aimed at intermediate level or above, perhaps it's OK. For anybody below that level it's not obvious why it's better to point at a photo of some girls and say "Which one is her daughter?" rather than "Who (amongst them) is her daughter" is . They will, after all, hear both from native speakers.
They will indeed, and why not? Who is just as likely a choice as which in spoken language, but of those two possible choices, should we ask, "Which is the best answer?" or "What is the best answer?" *What of those questions reflects conversational language and which formal language? ;-)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
They will indeed, and why not? Who is just as likely a choice as which in spoken language, but of those two possible choices, should we ask, "Which is the best answer?" or "What is the best answer?" *What of those questions reflects conversational language and which formal language? ;-)
It's so often a matter of opinion. For example:

Of those two possible choices, which is the ------ answer? A. better.....B. best

I'd go for A; you, it seems, would go for B.;-)

Soup

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
China
It's so often a matter of opinion.
I'm not sure we are discussing the same grammar point. Which expresses a choice. That's ...not an opinion.

Harry12345

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I'm not sure we are discussing the same grammar point. Which expresses a choice. That's ...not an opinion.
'Which' involves choice, I agree.

What I was meant that the better answer in questions of this type, when insufficient context is provided, is often a matter of opinon. In the original question as it stands:

----_________ is her daughter?
....... A. Which B. Who

we do not know if a choice is being offered. If there are only two people other than the speakers in the room, and both of them are girls, then 'which' is the better, indeed the correct, answer. We have not, however been given that information.

Moving on to your next point:
Who is just as likely a choice as which in spoken language, but of those two possible choices, should we ask, "Which is the best answer?" or "What is the best answer?" *What of those questions reflects conversational language and which formal language?
For me,

1. "Which is the better answer?" is fine if we intended to restrict the choice to one of the two presented.
2. "What is the best answer?" allows a third answer to be created.

The words I have highlighted in blue are true only in the context of #1.

Status
Not open for further replies.