Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
On doing an exercise about "going to" and "will" I read this sentence was wrong:
"Don't make so much noise. You are going to wake everybody up."

This is said to be right:
"Don't make so much noise. You will wake everybody up."

I don't understand why. The book also says "When we say something is going to happen, we think this is because of the situation now [...]. For example: Look at those black clouds. It's going to rain.

Isn't this the same type of situation? The guy in the example above is making noise now and that is why he is going to wake everybody up - in my opinion. So why is it wrong?

engee30

Key Member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
England
On doing an exercise about "going to" and "will" I read this sentence was wrong:
"Don't make so much noise. You are going to wake everybody up."

This is said to be right:
"Don't make so much noise. You will wake everybody up."

I don't understand why. The book also says "When we say something is going to happen, we think this is because of the situation now [...]. For example: Look at those black clouds. It's going to rain.

Isn't this the same type of situation? The guy in the example above is making noise now and that is why he is going to wake everybody up - in my opinion. So why is it wrong?

♥♦♣♠ NOT A TEACHER ♥♦♣♠
It is not wrong, it's just a bad exercise, as some on this forum would say about such an exercise.

Status
Not open for further replies.