Student or Learner
Native Language
Afrikaans
Home Country
South Africa
Current Location
South Africa
Hi there,
I Was wondering if anyone could help me with the following.

What is the form/structure for this item? (Don't analyse this too much grammatically - chunk it... i.e. Don't analyse this functional exponent as a second conditional)

If I were you, I'd go to Japan.

The reason I'm confused, is because I'm relatively sure it is a second conditional. So I have no idea what they mean. What is it that I'm misunderstanding here?

Thanks in advance.

Verona_82

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Ukraine
*not a teacher*
Indeed, your sentence is a second conditional. They are used to talk about imaginary (unreal) situations in the present or future.

We use a past tense in the if-clause and would/could/might + bare infinitive in the main clause.

The pattern 'if I were you, I'd... " is often used to give advice. Your sentence looks like a piece of advice.

Javerage

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Afrikaans
Home Country
South Africa
Current Location
South Africa
*not a teacher*
Indeed, your sentence is a second conditional. They are used to talk about imaginary (unreal) situations in the present or future.

We use a past tense in the if-clause and would/could/might + bare infinitive in the main clause.

The pattern 'if I were you, I'd... " is often used to give advice. Your sentence looks like a piece of advice.

But that's what bugs me. I'm suppose to analyse it differently. If not for what they said, I would've gone ahead and just put down the second conditional form. *sigh* I think I'll do it anyway, every question is so vague that I just want to bang my head against a wall.

Thanks though

Rob1973

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Ireland
Current Location
Russian Federation
Can someone please explain why we use the simple past in the 2nd Conditional? For example " If I had no internet access for a month I would go crazy"

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
We move to the past tense as it shows that the present we're talking about is imaginary or unlikely if it's future.

Status
Not open for further replies.