Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #1

    by the end of our business day today

    "This is a courtesy call to confirm we've have received your wife's payment and it's going to be reflected by the of our business day today."

    Is it OK with "going to be reflected by the end......."? Sould I use the future perfect tense with things like by.....??

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 57,903
    #2

    Re: by the end of our business day today

    I am not sure about reflected. How about our records will be updated?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #3

    Re: by the end of our business day today

    Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    I am not sure about reflected. How about our records will be updated?
    I listened to it again. I let one part of the sentence out. "it's going to be reflected in our records by the end of ..........."



    "He will have finished by six o'clock."

    "He will be finished by six o'clock."

    OR

    "This coming January we will have been married for 30 years."

    "In Januray we will be married for 30 yeras."

    OR

    "It will have been reflected in our records by the end of our business day."

    "It will be reflected in our records by the end of our business day."


    What I'm trying to understand whether we could use the future perfect tense?
    Last edited by ostap77; 04-Apr-2011 at 13:44.

  1. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,092
    #4

    Re: by the end of our business day today

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    "This is a courtesy call to confirm we've have received your wife's payment and it's going to be reflected by the of our business day today."

    Is it OK with "going to be reflected by the end......."? Sould I use the future perfect tense with things like by.....??
    "It will have been reflected ... ?" No. Because if it's 'reflected' at any time in the records it remains reflected there.

    You could use it this way:
    A: Will it be reflected in your records at the end of the day?
    B: Yes, it will have been entered by then.

    The 'entering' is a discrete act, so you can use the future perfect.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #5

    Re: by the end of our business day today

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    "It will have been reflected ... ?" No. Because if it's 'reflected' at any time in the records it remains reflected there.

    You could use it this way:
    A: Will it be reflected in your records at the end of the day?
    B: Yes, it will have been entered by then.

    The 'entering' is a discrete act, so you can use the future perfect.
    The original was "by the end of our business day"? Suppose I made a payment, someone has to put the data manually into the computer system but at the moment he is swamped with work so he says, "Don't worry. We got your check. It will have been reflected in our records by the end of our business day."?
    Last edited by ostap77; 04-Apr-2011 at 13:46.

  2. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,092
    #6

    Re: by the end of our business day today

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    The original was "by the end of our business day"? Suppose I made a payment, someone has put the data manually into the computer system but at the moment his swamped with work so he saya, "Don't worry. We got you check. It will have been reflected in our records by the end of our business day."?
    No, you don't need the future perfect, as I just explained. If the verb was "entered", it might make sense in the context I gave.

    My changing "by the end of our business day" to "at the end of the day" is irrelevant to the point.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #7

    Re: by the end of our business day today

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    No, you don't need the future perfect, as I just explained. If the verb was "entered", it might make sense in the context I gave.

    My changing "by the end of our business day" to "at the end of the day" is irrelevant to the point.
    What about "being married"? If you're already married you will be married in the future, so "will have been married" is not necessary?

  3. freezeframe's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Mar 2011
    • Posts: 2,113
    #8

    Re: by the end of our business day today

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    If you're already married you will be married in the future

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #9

    Re: by the end of our business day today

    Quote Originally Posted by freezeframe View Post
    It refers to part of one of my previous posts.

    "This coming January we will have been married for 30 years."

    "In Januray we will be married for 30 yeras."

  4. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,092
    #10

    Re: by the end of our business day today

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    What about "being married"? If you're already married you will be married in the future, so "will have been married" is not necessary?
    Yes, I'd agree with that.

    Woman A: I'll never find a man!
    Woman B: Oh, nonsense! You'll be married by the time you're 25. NOT: "You will have been married by the time you're 25." This version tends to imply that she will have been married and possibly divorced.

    PS: I just saw your above post. In that context you can use the future perfect. The principle is the same. Having been married for 30 years is a discrete event which occurs on your 30th anniversary.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. This day instead of Today
    By Suthipong in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-Oct-2010, 16:26
  2. [General] Do people say this day to mean a day that's not today?
    By cubezero3 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-Jul-2010, 08:07
  3. how has your day been today?
    By jctgf in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-Jun-2008, 02:59
  4. what day is today?
    By Marrisa in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 26-Jul-2005, 03:08
  5. How was your day today ?
    By namsteven in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 29-Mar-2005, 11:58

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •