Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi,

Could anyone please tell me the right equivalent for this Polish word (Pączki )? (especially the ones with cream inside)

How is this pronounced in English?

Many thanks.

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

The ones with cream inside are called "Boston cream (doughnuts)".

All this is for AmE of course.

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Is it spelt Paczki? And pronounced /pʊntʃkɪ/?

Ta!

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
Mehrgan.
I Googled "Pączki images" and found a lot of delicious looking things that seem to be what I would call jam doughnuts with icing on top (sometimes with nuts or glacé fruit) – and I would like one right now.

I went back for another look and found a link to this, which might be helpful:
"Pączki (Polish: pączki) are traditional Polish doughnuts. Pączki is the plural form of the word pączek in Polish, but many English speakers use paczki as singular and paczkis as plural. A pączek is a deep-fried piece of dough shaped into a flattened sphere and filled with Plums or other sweet filling. A traditional filling is marmalade made from fried rose buds. Fresh paczki are usually covered with powdered sugar, icing or bits of fried orange zest."
It also says they are sometimes called Bismarcks in the US.

www.hamtramck.us/events/pages/paczki.php

not a teacher

Last edited:

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
Mehrgan.
I Googled "Pączki images" and found a lot of delicious looking things that seem to be what I would call jam doughnuts with icing on top (sometimes with nuts or glacé fruit) – and I would like one right now.

I went back for another look and found a link to this, which might be helpful:
"Pączki (Polish: pączki) are traditional Polish doughnuts. Pączki is the plural form of the word pączek in Polish, but many English speakers use paczki as singular and paczkis as plural. A pączek is a deep-fried piece of dough shaped into a flattened sphere and filled with Plums or other sweet filling. A traditional filling is marmalade made from fried rose buds. Fresh paczki are usually covered with powdered sugar, icing or bits of fried orange zest."
It also says they are sometimes called Bismarcks in the US.

www.hamtramck.us/events/pages/paczki.php

not a teacher
Interesting. Although I lived the first sixty years of my life in New York City, I never heard of a pacski or a Bismarck. I'd call this a jelly doughnut.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hi,

Could anyone please tell me the right equivalent for this Polish word (Pączki )? (especially the ones with cream inside)

How is this pronounced in English?

Many thanks.
Hi, Mehrgan.

Polish restaurants and other places where you have both pączki and English menus tend to call pączki "donuts" or "doughnuts", which is correct, because that's what they are. Some choose to leave the Polish word, spelled "pączki" with the ogonek or "paczki" without it. This is also what they are, but then why call it translation?

Cream is not the most common filling in Polish doughnuts, but it does happen.

PS: I just thought you could find it interesting that doughnuts are extremely popular in Poland. The last Thursday before Lent, called Fat Thursday, has evolved into a doughnut-eating day, with people consuming dozens of them.

Last edited:

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Do you mean competitions? We have paczki eating competitions* here. Do you have something similar?

*warning: might make you lose your appetite
There are competitions too I guess, but I have never seen one. We just eat lots of doughnuts then. However, even though I haven't seen a competition with judges, contestants with numbers and so on, I consider the whole day a bit of a countrywide competition. It's never brag-free.

PS: Mehrgan, as for English pronunciation, English Wikipedia has it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P%C4%85czki

PPS: We're experiencing increases in food prices here and before last Fat Thursday (a month ago) there was a lot of concern about the price of doughnuts. Flour had just gotten more expensive and we were really afraid that we would have to eat less doughnuts that Fat Thursday. Then our good bakers promised to use only their stored flour, bought before the price increase. A sigh of relief was heard throughout the country.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.