Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
It's been a couple of days since I discovered this forum and I literally am full of radiating excitement about this.
I will definitely need your help at several moments throughout the following 15 months or so, since I intend to study all by myself for the cpe exams.

Let me add at this point that I actually have attended the cpe class three years ago and was an exceptional student but, unfortunately, I had to quit shortly before the examination.

The reason why I mentioned all of the above is that I would like to ask you for information, advice or anything else that you believe would be of use in such a case.
Pleasepleaseplease, do not include anything discouraging. This is the only way for me to do this.

Also, something a bit more specific:
We say "belong to" and "in the past". However, how would someone combine these two? Belong to or in the past?

Thank you for your time
Trisa

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
We say "belong to" and "in the past". However, how would someone combine these two? Belong to or in the past?
I am not sure what you are getting at here. Could you give a longer example of how you might want to combine the two?

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
It's been a couple of days since I discovered this forum and I literally am full of radiating excitement about this.
I will definitely need your help at several moments throughout the following 15 months or so, since I intend to study all by myself for the cpe exams.

Let me add at this point that I actually have attended the cpe class three years ago and was an exceptional student but, unfortunately, I had to quit shortly before the examination.

The reason why I mentioned all of the above is that I would like to ask you for information, advice or anything else that you believe would be of use in such a case.
Pleasepleaseplease, do not include anything discouraging. This is the only way for me to do this.

Also, something a bit more specific:

Thank you for your time
Trisa

NOT A TEACHER.

Example: "That tradition belongs in the past."

Is that what you were getting at?

Verona_82

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Ukraine
I guess I understand what you mean. I've heard reporters on the radio say something like "..some women claim the term 'housewife' is completely out of date and belongs to the past". It's another question, though, whether or not the usage is correct.

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Hi, trisa. Welcome to the forum.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I've heard belongs in the past used when something is still used but the speaker feels that it is out-of-date and should be in the past.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I feel that 'in' is (fairly) natural, but that 'to' is used by some people.

Sorry I forgot to welcome you, trisa.:hi: I hope you enjoy your time here; may it be long.

trisa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
Thank you all for your replies as well as for making me feel that welcome. I really appreciate this.

Belong in the past it is, then. I've written it down just in case my utterly dysfunctional memory strikes again in the future.

If, at some point, you also have any advice on how I should proceed with my effort, or just anything on the net that I should take into consideration (aside from the cambridge pages that I'm going to know by heart in a little while), please do let me know.

Once again, thank you very much. :)
Trisa

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
If, at some point, you also have any advice on how I should proceed with my effort
I charge £500 an hour for advice. Fortunately for my clients, my dysfunctional memory ensures that I never remember to send out bills.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I'll collect the money for you and send it on, honest.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Status
Not open for further replies.