Student or Learner
Native Language
Swahili
Home Country
Congo
Current Location
Australia
Hi,

Are the following sentences natural to a native ear?

1. Am I out of line in saying that the nation needs a more powerful administrative service?

2. I think that there is a high probability that the company would/will come out of this situation.

3. With our borrowing cost where it is at, I don’t think it is a prudent course.

Thanks,
MG.

luschen

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am not an English teacher, but I do have a native ear. In my opinion, the sentences do sound natural. For sentence 2, will is the correct choice. Many native speakers would say your exact sentence for #3, but I believe the correct grammar would be:

With our borrowing cost where it is, I don't think it is a prudent course.

musicgold

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Swahili
Home Country
Congo
Current Location
Australia
Thanks Luschen.

2. I think that there is a high probability that the company would/will come out of this situation.

I always get confused with such sentences. I remember reading somewhere that when you are not certain about the future, use 'would'. Not sure why it doesn't work in this case. Maybe a teacher can opine.

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
***Neither a teacher nor a native-speaker.***

I think the both "that"s are needless, am I right ? And as for the "would/will" couple I think they might mean different. I'd too say "will" is the correct answer, because at least my ears expect such a thing but yet "would" couldn't be incorrect since, firstly it is not ungrammatical and second it, at least here in this context, sounds like a less confidently uttered "will" .

I'll really appreciate if I'm told that my interpretations are right or not.

Thanks for your replies in advance.

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

I think the both "that"s are needless, am I right ? And as for the "would/will" couple I think they might mean different. I'd too say "will" is the correct answer, because at least my ears expect such a thing but yet "would" couldn't be incorrect since, firstly it is not ungrammatical and second it, at least here in this context, sounds like a less confidently uttered "will" .

Good points. I agree on "would".

I would keep the second "that".

luschen

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
euncu, I agree that you are correct. The that in the second sentence is not needed, although a lot of native speakers might put it in anyway.

I think the key to the will/would is that it needs to match the verb tense of think. Both these sentences would be correct:

I think that there is a high probability that the company will come out of this situation.

I thought that there was a high probability that the company would come out of that situation.

The first is all happening in the present while the second all happened in the past.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

I agree with your point about that, and would happily leave both out. I am less sure about would because it's a high probability- will fits better.

Status
Not open for further replies.