Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Is concessive clause like the following rarely used? We've learned it as one of the usages of participle phrases, but don't they use it a lot? I'm not sure if I have heard or seen a lot, but it's confusing as my grammar book says like that.

ex)Admitting what you say.(Though I admit what), I still don't believe it
Being rich(Though I am rich), I am not happy.

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Is concessive clause like the following rarely used? We've learned it as one of the usages of participle phrases, but don't they use it a lot? I'm not sure if I have heard or seen a lot, but it's confusing as my grammar book says like that.

ex)Admitting what you say.(Though I admit what), I still don't believe it
Being rich(Though I am rich), I am not happy.

I don't have any statistical data on the frequency of usage.

But, when I read "Being rich, I am not happy", I'm more inclined to interpret it as "I am not happy because I'm rich" and not as "I am not happy although I'm rich".

JTRiff

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Netherlands
Current Location
Canada
not teacher

Admitting, or allowing that what you say is true(Though I admit that what you say is true), I still don't believe it
Being rich, I am not happy, is unacceptable, it's like saying that being rich automatically makes one unhappy.
Though I am rich, I am not happy. Makes sense because of though.
Obviously, being rich should make one happy, so though or despite or even though are needed.
I am rich - yet unhappy.

I am neither rich nor happy.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Admitting carries a meaning that conveys the concession and makes the meaning clear, while being rich doesn't- it doesn't work for me and I get the same ambiguity as Freezeframe.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Admitting carries a meaning that conveys the concession and makes the meaning clear, while being rich doesn't- it doesn't work for me and I get the same ambiguity as Freezeframe.

I just want to know if participle phrase as concession in the meaning of "although" has been disappearing, rarely used.

Status
Not open for further replies.