we need you to come down as soon as possible.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Why did they say "come down"? It sounds like you have to come down from upstairs to downstairs, but isn't it related to height but just "come over"?

-Ghost whisperer
[FONT=&#44404]Hospital : This is mercy hospital. [/FONT][FONT=&#44404] Your husband's been in an accident [/FONT][FONT=&#44404] and we need you to come down as soon as possible. [/FONT][FONT=&#44404]Do you know where we're located?

[/FONT]

SirGod

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Romanian
Home Country
Romania
Current Location
Romania
*Not a teacher

As far as I know, come down is also used when you come from a big city (usually a residence) to a smaller city.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Come over might sound too casual and come here might sound too bossy, so come down fits in the middle- it's polite but pressing.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Come over might sound too casual and come here might sound too bossy, so come down fits in the middle- it's polite but pressing.
Does "down" in here have any meaning? and what do you think of SirGod's opinion?

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Does "down" in here have any meaning? and what do you think of SirGod's opinion?

Down can mean going further south, going to a place of lesser importance, or smaller place...

I generally use it more generically though.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
1. Does "down" in here have any meaning? 2. and what do you think of SirGod's opinion?

1. It has no vital meaning. The utterance could be made simply as [FONT=&#44404] Your husband's been in an accident [/FONT][FONT=&#44404] and we need you to come as soon as possible. [/FONT]

The context would make it clear that the 'coming' meant 'to the place from which I am speaking - Mercy Hospital'.

2. I agree with SirGod. 'Come down' can also be used in that way, but I don't think that's a likely reading in your example. If it had been, the speaker would have said something like, "This is Mercy Hospital in X" (X = the name of the smaller town).

JTRiff

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Netherlands
Current Location
Canada
noteacher

They could as easily have said 'come up' to the hospital. Maybe it's on a hill.
Come down could imply that the hospital is downtown, but it's probably just generic usage in most places.

Status
Not open for further replies.