Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
United States
Hi, there.
Could you please write down a transcription of that word?
I feel that we need to add iz at the end but I can't find the rule to stick to.
Could you please mention that as well.
I tried to find how that word is voiced all over the Internet, but didn't found, so I would be grateful if you would give me a link to the resource.

Thank, for your reply.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
My BrE transcription would be /mʌnθs/, /mʌnts/, /mʌns/.

The plural -(e)s is pronounced /ɪz/[FONT=&quot] after /s, z, [/FONT][FONT=&quot]ʃ,[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ʒ, ʧ[/FONT][FONT=&quot]/ and /[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ʤ[/FONT][FONT=&quot]/.[/FONT]

AlexAD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
United States
My BrE transcription would be /mʌnθs/, /mʌnts/, /mʌns/.

The plural -(e)s is pronounced /ɪz/[FONT=&quot] after /s, z, [/FONT][FONT=&quot]ʃ,[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ʒ, ʧ[/FONT][FONT=&quot]/ and /[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ʤ[/FONT][FONT=&quot]/.[/FONT]
Thank you, fivejedjon.
I'm fine with /mʌnts/ and /mʌns/ and I shall use it, but I have no idea how to pronounce /mʌnθs/ with that double sibilant at the end :)

Verona_82

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Ukraine

Do we call such consonants 'sibilants'?
What do we call consonants that are ..er.. vocalized(/b/, /m/, /n/, /l/, /d/, /g/ etc)? What do we call consonants that are pronounced without voice (such as /p/, /t/, /k/, /h/, /f/)? I realized I didn't know the English terminology.

to AlexAD: As far as I know, /θ/ is not a sibilant.
?

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Thank you, fivejedjon.
I'm fine with /mʌnts/ and /mʌns/ and I shall use it, but I have no idea how to pronounce /mʌnθs/ with that double sibilant at the end :)

Did you click on the link? :-?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Thank you, fivejedjon.
Except in careful speech, native speakers don't find it easy. That's why we normally use one of the other two forms.

AlexAD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
United States
Did you click on the link? :-?
Yes, I did, but since I have a bear stepped on my ears I can't get the difference, they sound pretty same for me.

To Verona_82, to be honest, I don't know how they call such sounds according to the classification. The only thing I wanted to say by that is that /θ/ produces hissing as well as /s/ produces whistle and I don't know how to pronounce it when they're together. Sorry if I didn't name it properly.

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Yes, I did, but since I have a bear stepped on my ears I can't get the difference, they sound pretty same for me.

A bear did the same to me! Could have been the same one!

Not sure why you're interested in this but if it's just for general language learning, I wouldn't worry too much about it. As long as you're understood, the accent doesn't matter.

And, anyway, most of the Russian speakers I help with English have more problems with softening sounds and adding a whole bunch of ё's and ю's. :-D

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Do we call such consonants 'sibilants'? Some writers do.

What do we call consonants that are ..er.. vocalized(/b/, /m/, /n/, /l/, /d/, /g/ etc)? Voiced consonants.

What do we call consonants that are pronounced without voice (such as /p/, /t/, /k/, /h/, /f/)? Voiceless consonants.

As far as I know, /θ/ is not a sibilant. Correct.

AlexAD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
United States
A bear did the same to me! Could have been the same one!

Not sure why you're interested in this but if it's just for general language learning, I wouldn't worry too much about it. As long as you're understood, the accent doesn't matter.

And, anyway, most of the Russian speakers I help with English have more problems with softening sounds and adding a whole bunch of ё's and ю's. :-D
I just found that annoying when I'd tried to read the word months and got somewhat odd came out from my mouth. But as soon as I've got the right transcription I think it would be better than before. But it's surely one of the issues I don't like about English :)

Thank you everybody for you kind explanations.

Status
Not open for further replies.