• Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Georgia
      • Current Location:
      • Georgia

A Translation

Hello,

Could you please correct this translation?

1.A horrible sound of the explosion was heard in the middle of the night. It was a car. The neighbors were shocked and they didn’t even call the police at once. It was the car of one of the residents of the house.
    2.A powerful blast was heard in the middle of the night. It was a car explosion. The neighbors were so shocked that they didn’t even call the police at once. The car belonged to one of the neighbors. The burning body of the man, who probably/most likely was the owner of it could be seen in the car.
    ‘I think it’s Nick’s car.’ One of the neighbors was talking to the detective.
    ‘They went to their summer cottage. Nick was washing his car yesterday morning preparing for their departure.’
    ‘Perhaps you know if they left together?’ Asked the detective.
    ’They must have left together. Wasn’t she there in their car? Asked the neighbor.
    ‘No, he was alone in the car. Maybe she decided to stay in their summer cottage? Asked the detective.
    ‘They always go to their summer cottage together as they are a very friendly couple.(or this is a very friendly couple?) Perhaps this man in the car isn’t Nick at all?’
    ‘You are right it might be another man. The results of the autopsy will show whom this body belongs to. Could you lead me to their flat?’
    Thanks

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Switzerland

Re: A Translation

Quote Originally Posted by sondra View Post
    Hello,

Could you please correct this translation?

1.A horrible sound of the explosion was heard in the middle of the night. It was a car. The neighbors were shocked and they didn’t even call the police at once. It was the car of one of the residents of the house.
    2.A powerful blast was heard in the middle of the night. It was a car explosion. The neighbors were so shocked that they didn’t even call the police at once. The car belonged to one of the neighbors. The burning body of the man, who probably/most likely was the owner of it could be seen in the car.
    ‘I think it’s Nick’s car.’ One of the neighbors was talking to the detective.
    ‘They went to their summer cottage. Nick was washing his car yesterday morning preparing for their departure.’
    ‘Perhaps you know if they left together?’ Asked the detective.
    ’They must have left together. Wasn’t she there in their car? Asked the neighbor.
    ‘No, he was alone in the car. Maybe she decided to stay in their summer cottage? Asked the detective.
    ‘They always go to their summer cottage together as they are a very friendly couple.(or this is a very friendly couple?) Perhaps this man in the car isn’t Nick at all?’
    ‘You are right it might be another man. The results of the autopsy will show whom this body belongs to. Could you lead me to their flat?’
    Thanks
    NOT A TEACHER.

A horrible sound of an explosion was heard in the middle of the night. A car had exploded. The neighbours were shocked and didn’t even call the police right away. It was the car of one of the neighbourhood’s residents.

A powerful blast was heard in the middle of the night. It was a car explosion. The neighbours were so shocked that they didn’t even call the police right away. The car belonged to one of them. The burning body of the man who was probably the car’s owner could be seen in the car.
    “I think it’s Nick’s car,” said one of the neighbours to a detective. “Nick and his girlfriend had gone to their summer cottage. Nick was washing his car yesterday morning in preparation for their departure.”
    “Perhaps you know if they left together?” asked the detective.
    “They must have left together. Wasn’t she in the car?” asked the neighbour.
    “No, he was alone in the car. Maybe she decided to stay at their summer cottage?” asked the detective.
    “They always go to their summer cottage together, as they are very close to each other.”
    “Perhaps the man in the car isn’t Nick at all?”
    “You’re right. It might be another man. The results of the autopsy will show whose body that is. Could you take me to their flat?”

I had to add some stuff for the text to make sense. It may still contain mistakes.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Jasmin165 View Post
    NOT A TEACHER.

A horrible sound of an explosion was heard in the middle of the night. A car had exploded. The neighbours were shocked and didn’t even call the police right away. It was the car of one of the neighbourhood’s residents.

A powerful blast was heard in the middle of the night. It was a car explosion. The neighbours were so shocked that they didn’t even call the police right away. The car belonged to one of them. The burning body of the man who was probably the car’s owner could be seen in the car.
    “I think it’s Nick’s car,” said one of the neighbours to a detective. “Nick and his girlfriend had gone to their summer cottage. Nick was washing his car yesterday morning in preparation for their departure.”
    “Perhaps you know if they left together?” asked the detective.
    “They must have left together. Wasn’t she in the car?” asked the neighbour.
    “No, he was alone in the car. Maybe she decided to stay at their summer cottage?” asked the detective.
    “They always go to their summer cottage together, as they are very close to each other.”
    “Perhaps the man in the car isn’t Nick at all?”
    “You’re right. It might be another man. The results of the autopsy will show whose body that is. Could you take me to their flat?”

I had to add some stuff for the text to make sense. It may still contain mistakes.
    This is really good. I just had a general comment -- I wouldn't make some of the changes without source text. For example: one of the residents of the house > one of the neighbourhood's residents. This changes the meaning quite significantly. In the first phrase, the "neighbours" all live in the same building, in the second, they probably don't.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Switzerland

Quote Originally Posted by freezeframe View Post
    This is really good. I just had a general comment -- I wouldn't make some of the changes without source text. For example: one of the residents of the house > one of the neighbourhood's residents. This changes the meaning quite significantly. In the first phrase, the "neighbours" all live in the same building, in the second, they probably don't.
    To me it wasn't clear what house she was referring to.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Jasmin165 View Post
    To me it wasn't clear what house she was referring to.
    Fair enough.

In that case I think it's best to double check with the OP and ask what they mean to say.

Learners whose English isn't that good might assume that you're giving them a correct version of whatever they want to say.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Georgia
      • Current Location:
      • Georgia

Dear teachers,

I did know the correct versions of these sentences, but as I am not a native speaker I decided to ask if these versions are also correct. I have been told by so many teachers that one and the same idea can be conveyed in many different ways in English that's why I was so curious.
    I know that you might not like my English but I am here to improve my skills and I thought you were here to help out.
    Please do not disturb yourselves anymore to answer my questions, there are many other teachers who can answer my threads.
    Thanks

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Quote Originally Posted by sondra View Post
    Dear teachers,

I did know the correct versions of these sentences, but as I am not a native speaker I decided to ask if these versions are also correct. I have been told by so many teachers that one and the same idea can be conveyed in many different ways in English that's why I was so curious.
    I know that you might not like my English but I am here to improve my skills and I thought you were here to help out.
    Please do not disturb yourselves anymore to answer my questions, there are many other teachers who can answer my threads.
    Thanks
    No one has suggested, explicitly or implicitly, that they didn't like your English. My comments were directed only at Jasmin. And we are here to help you. This is not a paid job; everyone is here because they want to help.

But of course if you would prefer someone else to help you that's your right.

Good luck.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Switzerland

Quote Originally Posted by freezeframe View Post
    No one has suggested, explicitly or implicitly, that they didn't like your English. My comments were directed only at Jasmin. And we are here to help you. This is not a paid job; everyone is here because they want to help.

But of course if you would prefer someone else to help you that's your right.

Good luck.
    What?!? You're not getting paid for this? You mean to tell me you're doing this voluntarily? No way!