Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. AlexAD's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Belarus
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2011
    • Posts: 668
    #1

    Linking past tenses

    Hi, there.
    I'm not sure if what I'm going to post doesn't look like a homework but I've made up an answer to a question after I read a story and now I'd like to make sure I made it excellent. So, I would be gratefull if you would correct my mistakes. I'm not sure about tenses and that sounds a bit complicated for me but I'm honoured with that :)

    Question: Do you justify Roger's behaviour? Give your reasons.
    Answer: No, I don't. There is a merely one reason for that: he made her felt out of love with him and so he didn't hurt her feelings so much as it would have been if he had said that he had been deserting her straight to her face.

    Thank you, for your reply.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Switzerland

    • Join Date: Aug 2009
    • Posts: 1,676
    #2

    Re: Linking past tenses

    Quote Originally Posted by AlexAD View Post
    Hi, there.
    I'm not sure if what I'm going to post doesn't look like a homework but I've made up an answer to a question after I read a story and now I'd like to make sure I made it excellent. So, I would be gratefull if you would correct my mistakes. I'm not sure about tenses and that sounds a bit complicated for me but I'm honoured with that :)

    Question: Do you justify Roger's behaviour? Give your reasons.
    Answer: No, I don't. There is a merely one reason for that: he made her felt out of love with him and so he didn't hurt her feelings so much as it would have been if he had said that he had been deserting her straight to her face.

    Thank you, for your reply.
    NOT A TEACHER.

    Q: Do you consider Roger's behaviour justified? Please provide a reasoned answer.
    A: No, I don't. There is only one reason for his behaviour: he made her fall out of love with him so he wouldn't have to hurt her feelings by breaking up with her.

  2. freezeframe's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Mar 2011
    • Posts: 2,113
    #3

    Re: Linking past tenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Jasmin165 View Post
    NOT A TEACHER.

    Q: Do you consider Roger's behaviour justified? Please provide a reasoned answer.
    A: No, I don't. There is only one reason for his behaviour: he made her fall out of love with him so he wouldn't have to hurt her feelings by breaking up with her.
    AlexAD, when you write "There is a merely one reason for that" does that mean "his behaviour" or "your reason". I assume it's the latter.

    No, I don't. My only reason for this is that ...

  3. Khosro's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Jan 2011
    • Posts: 530
    #4

    Re: Linking past tenses

    Quote Originally Posted by AlexAD View Post
    Question: Do you justify Roger's behaviour? Give your reasons.
    Answer: No, I don't. There is a merely one reason for that: he made her felt out of love with him and so he didn't hurt her feelings so much as it would have been if he had said that he had been deserting her straight to her face.

    Thank you, for your reply.
    What Jasmin wrote is much better. Simple and nice. The bolded parts are wrong in my opinion. But as much as it concerns using past tense I think your only mistake is "didn't".

  4. AlexAD's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Belarus
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2011
    • Posts: 668
    #5

    Re: Linking past tenses

    Quote Originally Posted by freezeframe View Post
    AlexAD, when you write "There is a merely one reason for that" does that mean "his behaviour" or "your reason". I assume it's the latter.

    No, I don't. My only reason for this is that ...
    What I meant by that is "No, I don't". I think My only reason for this is that sounds much more better. Thank you.

  5. Khosro's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Jan 2011
    • Posts: 530
    #6

    Re: Linking past tenses

    Quote Originally Posted by AlexAD View Post
    What I meant by that is "No, I don't". I think My only reason for this is that sounds much more better. Thank you.
    Alex, first you say:"No, I don't" (I don't justify it) and then later you provide a reason for his behaviour and in that way you justify it. I don't want to say that these are contradictory and consequently wrong, I just say that later you elaborate your short definite answer.

    So I think that freezeframe is wrong and Jasmin is right when she wrotes:"There is only one reason for his behaviour:". If "that" refers to "No, I don't" I consider your comment to be contradictory.

  6. freezeframe's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Mar 2011
    • Posts: 2,113
    #7

    Re: Linking past tenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Khosro View Post
    Alex, first you say:"No, I don't" (I don't justify it) and then later you provide a reason for his behaviour and in that way you justify it. I don't want to say that these are contradictory and consequently wrong, I just say that later you elaborate your short definite answer.

    So I think that freezeframe is wrong and Jasmin is right when she wrotes writes:"There is only one reason for his behaviour:". If "that" refers to "No, I don't" I consider your comment to be contradictory.

    I'm curious. How do you argue with OP about what he meant?

  7. AlexAD's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Belarus
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2011
    • Posts: 668
    #8

    Re: Linking past tenses

    I'm sorry guys, that was a bad mistake of mine, of course I should've written Yes, I do. ... I just confused justify with judge. So, if I were to go like Yes, I do. would I go ahead then with There is a merely one reason for that ?
    Or this? Or it doesn't matter. Thanks.

  8. freezeframe's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Mar 2011
    • Posts: 2,113
    #9

    Re: Linking past tenses

    Quote Originally Posted by AlexAD View Post
    I'm sorry guys, that was a bad mistake of mine, of course I should've written Yes, I do. ... I just confused justify with judge. So, if I were to go like Yes, I do. would I go ahead then with There is a merely one reason for that ?
    Or this? Or it doesn't matter. Thanks.
    You need to use only, not merely. Only refers to exclusivity -- namely, one reason.

    Merely is used when there's a value judgement or if you're downplaying something.

    I would use "My only reason is..." to make it simpler and less ambiguous.



    PS why is the spell checker not liking judgement?!

Similar Threads

  1. [Grammar] Past tenses
    By Waawe in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 24-Jun-2008, 22:02
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-Mar-2008, 01:46
  3. Past Tenses - Past Participles
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-Feb-2007, 02:42
  4. since + past tenses
    By hela in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 12-Dec-2006, 08:23
  5. help with past tenses
    By teelewis in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 16-Aug-2006, 23:14

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •