Which of the following sentences is correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sweetie123

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hi,

Which of the following sentences is correct?

1) Site visit of Chemical & Gas Plants was done by M/s Technical Support Company on Monday, April 4, 2011 at 2:00 pm.

2) Site visit of Chemical & Gas Plants were done by M/s Technical Support Company on Monday, April 4, 2011 at 2:00 pm.

Thanks.

rmsh16

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Kannada
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Sentence 2 is appropriate & correct.

Khosro

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Why not sentence 1? "Site visit" is singular and the fact that it was done on a definite time also allows us to consider it single and use "was" with it.

Perhaps sentence 2 is also correct (you might think of "plants" which is plural), but I prefer sentence 1 for the reasons I mentioned.

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
Why not sentence 1? "Site visit" is singular and the fact that it was done on a definite time also allows us to consider it single and use "was" with it.

Perhaps sentence 2 is also correct (you might think of "plants" which is plural), but I prefer sentence 1 for the reasons I mentioned.
I agree with your interpretation for #1. Chemical and Gas Plants, as written with capital letters. appears to be the name of a company. If so, #2 is not correct.
The sentence, IMO, would read better as "A site visit to... was made on..."

Last edited:

luschen

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
*** Not a teacher ***

I am confused - in my opinion #1 is correct - singular noun, singular verb. Is this a British English / American English issue?

Also, I agree that an "A" to start the sentence is needed.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
IF:
You made ONE visit, and during that visit saw multiple plants -- use the singular form of the verb.

You made MANY visits, each to its own plant -- change the word to visits, and use the plural form of the verb.

Last edited:

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
A comment on something else:

If you were visiting two plants -- a Chemical one and a Gas one -- you need to write out "and":
Chemical and Gas Plants = you visited two kind of plants

& is used only when it's part of a company name, otherwise the word and has be spelled out in writing. So your phrase -- Chemical & Gas Plants -- suggests you visited several plants owned by a company called "Chemical & Gas".

Status
Not open for further replies.