Results 1 to 9 of 9
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Oct 2009
    • Posts: 179
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    You Say Depression, I Say Broke

    Dear all,

    How should I paraphrase the underlined?
    I failed to get the logic here.

    Thanks in advance.

    Eartha

    Economic Basics: You Say Depression, I Say Broke

    If you already know the difference between general equilibrium analysis and multilateral trade conventions, go ahead and skip this chapter because you clearly have a firm grasp of economic theory.

    If youre like me, however, you have a tough time figuring out if three for a dollar is better than 40 cents each. If thats the case, stick around and peruse some basic economic terms and concepts that will give you a better grasp of what happened in the Great Depression and how things have changed since then.

  1. freezeframe's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Mar 2011
    • Posts: 2,113
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: You Say Depression, I Say Broke

    Quote Originally Posted by Eartha View Post
    Dear all,

    How should I paraphrase the underlined?
    I failed to get the logic here.

    Thanks in advance.

    Eartha

    Economic Basics: You Say Depression,” I Say “Broke”

    If you already know the difference between general equilibrium analysis and multilateral trade conventions, go ahead and skip this chapter because you clearly have a firm grasp of economic theory.

    If you’re like me, however, you have a tough time figuring out if “three for a dollar” is better than “40 cents each.” If that’s the case, stick around and peruse some basic economic terms and concepts that will give you a better grasp of what happened in the Great Depression and how things have changed since then.
    Well, generally to paraphrase titles of chapters one would have to read the entire thing.

    I assume he means that what we call "Depression", he calls "being broke"... or something like that...

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • New Zealand
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Nov 2010
    • Posts: 1,995
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: You Say Depression, I Say Broke

    Economic Basics: You Say Depression, I Say Broke

    Eartha.
    The writer appears to be making a distinction between how an expert understands and discusses the economy, and how a non-expert, or regular person (like myself), would do so.
    The underlined phrase seems to be saying: "While you might use an economist's technical term, I use the language of the ordinary people".

    not a teacher

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2011
    • Posts: 191
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: You Say Depression, I Say Broke

    *** I am not a teacher ***

    Just a note:

    "I am broke." does not mean "I am broken.", it means "I have no money." or "I have spent all my money."

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 54,531
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: You Say Depression, I Say Broke

    Quote Originally Posted by JMurray View Post
    Economic Basics: You Say Depression, I Say Broke

    Eartha.
    The writer appears to be making a distinction between how an expert understands and discusses the economy, and how a non-expert, or regular person (like myself), would do so.
    The underlined phrase seems to be saying: "While you might use an economist's technical term, I use the language of the ordinary people".

    not a teacher
    I think also, it could imply that the author is telling the truth and that Depression doesn't give the full, plain picture.

  2. freezeframe's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Mar 2011
    • Posts: 2,113
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: You Say Depression, I Say Broke

    Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    I think also, it could imply that the author is telling the truth and that Depression doesn't give the full, plain picture.
    Another good guess. I can think of a few more.

  3. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,038
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: You Say Depression, I Say Broke

    Quote Originally Posted by freezeframe View Post
    Well, generally to paraphrase titles of chapters one would have to read the entire thing.

    I assume he means that what we call "Depression", he calls "being broke"... or something like that...
    (The lack of parallelism makes this hard to parse - and I'm not even a student.) My first impression would be that the whole book will be as sloppily written, and worth an appropriate degree of attention.

    b

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 54,531
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: You Say Depression, I Say Broke

    Quote Originally Posted by freezeframe View Post
    Another good guess. I can think of a few more.
    Let's call the whole thing off?

  4. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 23,499
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #9

    Re: You Say Depression, I Say Broke

    Quote Originally Posted by Eartha View Post
    Dear all,

    How should I paraphrase the underlined?
    I failed to get the logic here.

    Thanks in advance.

    Eartha

    Economic Basics: You Say Depression, I Say Broke
    Also, in an economic context, 'depression' doesn't mean being sad about having no money.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 22-Dec-2009, 14:32
  2. The Catcher In The Rye: A Tale Of Depression
    By Elize25000 in forum Literature
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-Dec-2007, 21:52
  3. reverence of depression
    By beeja in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-Dec-2006, 07:29
  4. Depression
    By NewHope in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-Dec-2004, 14:11

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •