Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
There is a book called the god delusion by Richard Dawkins and I was wondering why there is no s possessive, the god's delusuion? also why is there the definite article the?

Thank you ;-)

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
There is a book called the god delusion by Richard Dawkins and I was wondering why there is no s possessive, the god's delusuion? also why is there the definite article the?

Thank you ;-)

the noun god functions as an adjective to the noun delusion, modifying it

God does not have any delusions. But we have something called "the god delusion"; that is, we believe in a supernatural being and that is a delusion, according to the book.

EDIT: in response to Barb's post -- the above is a description of the book's content;

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The above post was a perfect description of the GRAMMAR.

Comments about that actual existence, non-existence, or nature of God are neither sought nor welcome.

Over the top

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
the noun god functions as an adjective to the noun delusion, modifying it

God does not have any delusions. But we have something called "the god delusion"; that is, we believe in a supernatural being and that is a delusion, according to the book.

EDIT: in response to Barb's post -- the above is a description of the book's content;

If the god delusion means the delusion of god then why the god's delusion does not also have the same meaning?
isn't the content of the book is the same as the book's content!
Can you give me other examples where god is used as an adjective. Thanks

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
If the god delusion means the delusion of god then why the god's delusion does not also have the same meaning?
As freezeframe explained, it is not the delusion of god; it is people's delusion about god. The author of the book does not claim that god is deluded; he claims that god does not exist, and that people who believe in god are deluded.

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
isn't the content of the book is the same as the book's content!
Can you give me other examples where god is used as an adjective. Thanks

When you put two nouns together, the first one functions as an adjective. This has nothing to do with god as such.

Leather pants -- pants made out of leather; not the same as "pants' leather"

Letter opener -- opener for letters; not the same as "opener's letter"

god delusion -- delusion that god exists; not the same as "god's delusion", which would mean "god is delusional".

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
For that matter, we normally capitalize "God" when referring to the Judeo-Christian, monotheistic God (as opposed to, say, Greek or Roman gods.)

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
For that matter, we normally capitalize "God" when referring to the Judeo-Christian, monotheistic God (as opposed to, say, Greek or Roman gods.)

Not to start a religious debate, but that is a choice, not a necessity. Often this choice is somehow motivated (i.e. it's part of the writer's point).

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am describing the common usage that I am familiar with. If others choose differently, that is their prerogative. I thought a learner of the language should know that it can be considered disrespectful to not capitalize "God."

If we can tell learners that many prefer gender neutral words like "firefighter" over "fireman," in order to avoid offending some people, we can surely tell them what the norm is on this subject.

Style and Editing Guide

This is a digest of the AP stylebook. Searching under "Capitalization" shows the recommendation that "God" be capitalized.

Over the top

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Should I also capitalize g when I don't talk about a specific god?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
God is capitalized because the word functions as the name of this particular divine being. If I say "Zeus is a Roman god" I capitalize the god's name (Zeus) but not the description "god".

One could write "The name Christians use for their god is 'God'".

Over the top

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
The title of the book doesn't refer to a particular god. Freezeframe says it's adjective not a noun. only nouns are capitalized.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
The title of the book doesn't refer to a particular god. Freezeframe says it's adjective not a noun. only nouns are capitalized.
This is not true. The word "Arab" is an adjective and it's always capitalized. Also, adjectives are always capitalized in book titles. When a name is used adjectivally, it's also capitalized. For example, imagine a pop star called Tom Skunk, whom teenage girls consider an idol and lose their senses when anyone even mentions his name. There is one girl however who is fed up with this situation. She could say, "I can't stand all this Tom Skunk nonsense!" In this sentence, "Tom Skunk" works as an adjective and we capitalize it nevertheless.

The word "God" is used as a name, so it's a similar thing. The capital letter in this word is also reverential. Many people will capitalize any word that stands for "God". They will write:

There is one God and everything has its beginning in Him.

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

It's a noun that functions as an adjective.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
The word "God" is used as a name, so it's a similar thing. The capital letter in this word is also reverential. Many people will capitalize any word that stands for "God". They will write:

There is one God and everything has its beginning in Him.

We are at grave risk of starting a religious debate, but I agree with freezeframe: "that is a choice, not a necessity". People who believe in a being they call "God" will indeed write, "There is one God and everything has its beginning in Him". They are welcome to do so, but that does not mean that anyone else has to. In that sentence, the G-word is not a name. If it is reverential, there is no need for those who do not feel any reverence to feel obliged to show it.

Soothingdave made a number of points:

1. God is capitalized because the word functions as the name of this particular divine being. If I say "Zeus is a Roman god" I capitalize the god's name (Zeus) but not the description "god".
When the word functions as a name, then I agree.

That was the case when most native writers of English were followers of Judaeo-Christian beliefs, and is still the case for such believers. Soothingdave's 'we' does not include those who are not such followers.

I am describing the common usage that I am familiar with. If others choose differently, that is their prerogative. I thought a learner of the language should know that it can be considered disrespectful to not capitalize "God."
It may be considered disrespectful by those who consider it important, but not by others.

If we can tell learners that many prefer gender neutral words like "firefighter" over "fireman," in order to avoid offending some people, we can surely tell them what the norm is on this subject.
As a large number of people still capitalise the 'g', I agree that learners should know that some people are offended by a lower case 'g'. However, this is not a good analogy. The selection of gender-neutral words appears to be on the increase because many people are consciously trying to avoid what they now see as a use of language that (possibly unintentionally) predisposes some to view masculine forms as inplying the superiority of male beings. For similar reasons, some people are now using the lower-case 'g' for 'god' in order to avoid any implication that the Judaeo-Christian view of a deity is superior to other views.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland

"There is one God and everything has its beginning in Him". [...] In that sentence, the G-word is not a name.
I think it's disputable, but I'm not willing to get into this discussion. :)

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I still suggest God be capitalized when referring to the Judeo-Christian god the same way we capitalize Zeus or Thor or Shiva or any other proper name of a deity, whether we subscribe to that belief system or not. It's a proper name. I don't subscribe to a belief in the Elysian Fields or Neverland either, but they get capitalized. Uncle Tom is fictional, but we still capitalize his name, including "Uncle" even though "uncle" is itself a common noun otherwise.

Over the top

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Thank you all. I got it.

Status
Not open for further replies.