Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Dear all,

I wonder if there's such an idiom that describes a wrongdoer accusing others first, so as to shift the attention.

thanks

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Last edited:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Ther's a saying that nearly fits, but it's about someone 'pointing the finger' at someone else when s/he's not perfect him/herself: 'Let not the pot call the kettle black'. (The archaic 'let not' is often avoided by oblique reference, such as: 'Pots and kettles spring to mind.)

In such cases of hypocrisy it's also not uncommon to use a biblical reference to The Mote and the Beam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia .

In cricket there's a specific case of finger-pointing to hide one's own error. When a bowler bowls what he tinks may be a 'wide' he sometimes appeals for an LBW (Leg Before Wicket) dismissal, hoping that the umpire will be distracted and not call the wide - thinking 'if the bowler thought it was LBW it can't have been wide'. But there is no special term for this; it is just 'kiddology' or 'gamesmanship'.

b

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
We could use "He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone", which comes from the Bible, but can be used to imply that those making the accusations are not themselves innocent.

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
preemptive strike :-D

"shift the blame/attention" can work

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
A variation of 'preemptive strike' was used of the glorious Welsh RU team in the '70s; they liked to 'get their retaliation in first'. :)

b

Awesome! I'll have to use that phrase now!

Thanks!
:cool:

jaylowe

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thank you so much for all your replies!
:up:

SanMar

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Ther's a saying that nearly fits, but it's about someone 'pointing the finger' at someone else when s/he's not perfect him/herself: 'Let not the pot call the kettle black'. (The archaic 'let not' is often avoided by oblique reference, such as: 'Pots and kettles spring to mind.)

b

Often I'll say and hear "Well isn't/aint that the pot calling the kettle black!" but I'm not sure if it's as popular as it once was. Same meaning as above.

Not a teacher.
:)

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
BobK: (The archaic 'let not' is often avoided by oblique reference, such as: 'Pots and kettles spring to mind.)

Yes, this saying is very ingrained. I've seen people just raise their eyebrows and say "pot – kettle".

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
BobK: (The archaic 'let not' is often avoided by oblique reference, such as: 'Pots and kettles spring to mind.)

Yes, this saying is very ingrained. I've seen people just raise their eyebrows and say "pot – kettle".
Does anyone know the origin of the saying? We have a pot-kettle saying in Polish too, which is used to express the same idea!

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Does anyone know the origin of the saying? We have a pot-kettle saying in Polish too, which is used to express the same idea!
I hope someone responds; I'll stay tuned. But I'm afraid I have no idea.

It obviously dates from a time or a culture in which cooking vessels were suspended over a fire. I remember when I first heard it - it seemed very odd to me, as in my experience neither pots nor kettles were black.

b

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
I've always assumed it was based on the idea that both pot and kettle were regularly placed over an open fire and would therefore both be black. So for one to accuse the other was hypocritical.
But this, from Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, 1870 (revised), tells a different story.

"The pot calling the kettle black: Said of someone accusing another of faults similar to those committed by the accuser. The allusion is to the old household in which the copper kettle would be kept polished, while the iron pot would remain black. The kettle's bright side would reflect the pot. The pot, seeing its reflection, would thus see black, which would appear to be on the side of the kettle. The pot could then accuse the kettle of a fault it did not have."

jaylowe

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thanks everyone.

But I actually had a scenario in mind: a student who clearly did a sloppy job in an assignment blamed me for not laying down the instructions clearly. As his fault isn't the same one he accused me with, I'm not sure the pot and kettle idiom really applies...

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Thanks everyone.

But I actually had a scenario in mind: a student who clearly did a sloppy job in an assignment blamed me for not laying down the instructions clearly. As his fault isn't the same one he accused me with, I'm not sure the pot and kettle idiom really applies...

The phrase for that is "to shift the blame".

Status
Not open for further replies.