Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
My test was to write an e-mail and attach a resume. I have written:

I am writing to you in connection with your advertisement in the situations vacant column in the Moscow News issued on the 15 of March 2011.

My teacher struck out "on the". As if the correct phrase is issued 15 of March 2011.

But in the internet I can find a lot of examples like:
Russia's new foreign policy doctrine issued on 10 July 2000 clearly distinguishes between...

So, the only problem seems to be the article. I acknowledge that I failed to find any examples with the article. But grammatically it seems to be Ok.

Could you speculate on this subject?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
My test was to write an e-mail and attach a resume. I have written:

I am writing to you in connection with your advertisement in the situations vacant column in the Moscow News issued on the 15 of March 2011.

My teacher struck out "on the". As if the correct phrase is issued 15 of March 2011.

But in the internet I can find a lot of examples like:
Russia's new foreign policy doctrine issued on 10 July 2000 clearly distinguishes between...

So, the only problem seems to be the article. I acknowledge that I failed to find any examples with the article. But grammatically it seems to be Ok.

Could you speculate on this subject?
"...issued on the 15th of March 2011" is correct.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
'. . .issued on 15th March 2011' is also correct, and a more concise way of writing the date.

Enter Writing dates in the Search box at the top of the page for links to many discussions on this topic.

Rover

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

Is "situations vacant" British and still used? It sounds very quaint for North America.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Situations vacant is a very dated expression these days in BE.

A local newspaper will have a section headed Job Vacancies and a national paper Employment Opportunities.

Rover

Status
Not open for further replies.