Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
China
From gramma book , "an" should be use before words with first letter with vowels (aeiou) , e.g. an egg , an umbrella .

But I just read "a university student" , "a duck egg" . It confuse me . What is the rule for use of "a" and "an" for words such as "university student / university uniform / duck egg / eagle egg / vanilla ice-cream" . Thanks for your help in advance .

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
From gramma book , "an" should be use before words with first letter with vowels (aeiou) , e.g. an egg , an umbrella .

But I just read "a university student" , "a duck egg" . It confuse me . What is the rule for use of "a" and "an" for words such as "university student / university uniform / duck egg / eagle egg / vanilla ice-cream" . Thanks for your help in advance .
No, "an" should be used before a vowel sound. 'University' starts with a consonant sound - /j/. "duck" starts with a consonant sound too, so you use "a".
Think about the reason for the rule, and it might make more sense to you.

Does your grammar book really say that?

dkyeung

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
China
Dear Raymott ,

Thanks for your instruction . I am Chinese . I don't know the meaning of vowels sound in the past , expect aeiou . Now I get some idea . Thank you .

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It's affected by the word that follows it:

An ice-cream
A vanilla ice-cream

And if you add an adjective that starts with a vowel sound, you do the opposite and change a to an:

A book
An excellent book

Status
Not open for further replies.