Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2011
    • Posts: 4
    #1

    redundancies

    Should one correct or merely cringe at such redundancies as past history/experience; penetrate through; red color; financial prosperity; revert back?

  1. freezeframe's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Mar 2011
    • Posts: 2,113
    #2

    Re: redundancies

    It depends on the kind of persona you're fashioning for yourself.

    What's redundant about "financial prosperity"?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2011
    • Posts: 4
    #3

    Re: redundancies

    Only the Readers' Digest and similar self-help media could conjoin penury and prosperity.

  2. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 19,216
    #4

    Re: redundancies

    Quote Originally Posted by jack belck View Post
    Only the Readers' Digest and similar self-help media could conjoin penury and prosperity.
    Huh? You can have financial hardship or financial prosperity.

    You can have propserity arising from health, friends, love, talents, etc, in additional financial.

    If you're a teacher, you can point out phrases that are redundant to imrpove your students' writing style. If you're considering correcting that common utterances of acquaintances, I strongly suggest you don't.

    Besides, I enjoy Readers' Digest and would never categorize it as "self-help." So perhaps you and I simply won't see eye to eye on anything.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2011
    • Posts: 4
    #5

    Re: redundancies

    With 50 years experience as an editor, my job has always been to correct errors in the language's use, an almost impossible job these days, given that one misuse will spread rapidly, thanks to the likes of Twitter: the next one knows, "multiple" has replaced "some", "many", "a few" "several". Stemming that tide proves impossible, even when a college perfessor (sic) uses, "I felt kind of sad."

    What is sad about this is that we have more and more umbrella words, like "awesome", that replace shades of meaning. The English teacher is criticized for strangling pupils' right to self-expression, for not allowing our "living" language to be expressed whatever way they wish to express it,

    As Mencken said, The barbarians are among us."

  3. freezeframe's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Mar 2011
    • Posts: 2,113
    #6

    Re: redundancies

    Quote Originally Posted by jack belck View Post
    With 50 years experience as an editor, my job has always been to correct errors in the language's use, an almost impossible job these days, given that one misuse will spread rapidly, thanks to the likes of Twitter: the next one knows, "multiple" has replaced "some", "many", "a few" "several". Stemming that tide proves impossible, even when a college perfessor (sic) uses, "I felt kind of sad."

    What is sad about this is that we have more and more umbrella words, like "awesome", that replace shades of meaning. The English teacher is criticized for strangling pupils' right to self-expression, for not allowing our "living" language to be expressed whatever way they wish to express it,

    As Mencken said, The barbarians are among us."
    Oh no, the language is evolving. This makes me feel kinda sad.



    Seriously, raging against it will just raise your blood pressure. It's much healthier to accept that there are many ways to see language, just as there are many ways to see just about everything else in this universe. Not everyone will share your point of view. The sooner one learns to deal with this in a productive manner, the better their life will be.

    best of luck

  4. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #7

    Re: redundancies

    Quote Originally Posted by freezeframe View Post
    Oh no, the language is evolving.
    Indeed. For example, when I was at school, I would not have been allowed to get away with jach belck's "the language's use". - it would have had to be "the use of language". I would also have had to put inverted commas round the words I have italicised in the following:

    Should one correct or merely cringe at such redundancies as past history/experience; penetrate through; red color; financial prosperity; revert back?

    - and possibly put some form of punctuation after 'as'.

    Quite apart from natural evolution in language, opinions on style and taste have always been a little subjective.
    Last edited by 5jj; 24-Apr-2011 at 10:46. Reason: typo - I need an editor!

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 57,833
    #8

    Re: redundancies

    But those Barbarians have been among us for hundreds of years with their redundancies and clichés, but somehow the language manages to keep going. I can see that the lot of an editor may well not be an entirely happy one with the churnalism pouring out across the internet, but I find the underlying sameness of content and thinking more worrying.

  5. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #9

    Re: redundancies

    Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    But those Barbarians have been among us for hundreds of years with their redundancies and clichés, but somehow the language manages to keep going. I can see that the lot of an editor may well not be an entirely happy one with the churnalism pouring out across the internet, but I find the underlying sameness of content and thinking more worrying.
    Barbarian!

    You started a sentence with 'But'.
    You used 'but' three times in sixty-one words. Have you not heard of such alternatives as 'though', 'although' and ''however'?
    Is it really necessary to use such barbaric neologisms as 'churnalism'?
    You capitalised 'Barbarians' unnecessarily.

    If you insist on producing such semi-literate nonsense, I shall make a formal complaint to the administrator of this forum, and request that you be banned forthwith.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 57,833
    #10

    Re: redundancies

    Consider me banned.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •