[Vocabulary] What is the word for storing our personal stuff for a short while in supermarkets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wang.cupid

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Canada
Hey, What is the word for storing our personal stuff for a short while in supermarkets, restaurants?

Also, what do we usually say to the staff, if we want to put things there?

Thanks.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
No supermarket I've ever been in in the UK, France or the USA has had facilities to store personal stuff.

If I've paid for my purchases and decide to go to the toilet before heading out I would ask a staff member to watch my stuff for a couple of minutes.

Rover

wang.cupid

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Canada
No supermarket I've ever been in in the UK, France or the USA has had facilities to store personal stuff.

If I've paid for my purchases and decide to go to the toilet before heading out I would ask a staff member to watch my stuff for a couple of minutes.

Rover

Thank you very much! Rover.

This is quite different from some countries, like China. If you want to keep your stuff in the store instead of leaving it in your car, you can choose to put it in a cabinet separated into many cells. After shopping, you can easily get it back by your password which is given to you at first.

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
wang.cupid.
At my local swimming pool and library these are called "lockers".

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
Hey, What is the word for storing our personal stuff for a short while in supermarkets, restaurants?

Also, what do we usually say to the staff, if we want to put things there?

Thanks.
In the U.S. you can check your coat and other articles in the coatroom of a restaurant. In supermarkets you usually carry your packages with you. Here in Brazil many supermarkets require that ypu check your packages when you enter. In neither case do you have to say anything at all, except "Thank you."

wang.cupid

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Canada
I googled and one possible answer is a check, which is defined as a place in a club, restaurant, etc. where you can leave your coat or bag.

But, it is interesting that dictionary.reference.com gives no similar definitions.

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Some supermarkets and big box stores here have short term lockers where you can leave your stuff. There's no special word for that, you just leave your things in a locker.

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I googled and one possible answer is a check, which is defined as a place in a club, restaurant, etc. where you can leave your coat or bag.

But, it is interesting that dictionary.reference.com gives no similar definitions.

In the US, many restaurants and clubs offer the option to "check" your coat (meaning you hand it over to the coat check person, who gives you a ticket stub or receipt in exchange), but that custom is becoming more common to higher-end (exclusive, more expensive) businesses. For the most part, people tend to keep their coats and bags with them when shopping or dining out. (I've even met a friend for lunch during a break from a shopping excursion and had the host/greeter seat the two of us at a booth meant for four people, just to accommodate all of our packages. :) )

I have been to smaller, independently-owned shops (mainly in college towns) where patrons carrying backpacks are required to check them in at the front counter, simply because A) the aisles are small and crowded and the backpack causes further congestion and often knocks items off of shelves, and B) it's too easy for a shoplifter to conceal purloined items in the backpack.

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
In large art galleries, theatres, clubs etc, the place where you check in your coat, bag, umbrella, is often called the "cloakroom".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.