Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Melinda is married, but she once bumped into a guy, telling him she is married, but he still seems to be interested in her knowing she is not single. And one day he out of blue visits her shop and her partner says like "foreign cheese". Is it "an unwanted visitor"? or something?

-ghost whisperer
[FONT=&#44404] Andrea - Well, well, well. [/FONT][FONT=&#44404] Speaking of foreign cheese.[/FONT]​
[FONT=&#44404]Melinda- [/FONT][FONT=&#44404] All right. Wait.

[/FONT]​

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
This is not a common expression. I think if you look at the dialog before this, you will find some reference to a cheese.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Well, they were talking about some type of dinner Melinda is going to make, but I don't see any clue. Sorry!

[FONT=&#44404]1033150 - As soon as i finish this, i'm
1033150 - going back and making him dinner.
[/FONT][FONT=&#44404]1035983 - And he likes this special parmesan
1035983 - that you can only get at bianchi's.
[/FONT][FONT=&#44404]1039751 - What?
[/FONT][FONT=&#44404]1041983 - Well, well, well.
[/FONT][FONT=&#44404]1043551 - Speaking of
1043551 - foreign cheese.[/FONT]​

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Could be a non sequitur.* Or maybe the guy that walked is foreign or rich looking or something like that so the line is a link between topics. Anyway, this isn't something you'll need to know outside of that particular dialogue. If it makes no sense, just move on. Lines in movies and TV shows don't always make sense. Maybe whoever wrote the script thought it was funny as hell, but unfortunately it isn't. :-(

*Sometimes I change the topic this way... we're talking about soup ... "speaking of soup, what do you think of the situation in Sweden?" :-D

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
As freezeframe says, this is not an expression with a commonly understood meaning. However, "cheesy" can imply someone who is corny, perhaps tacky or tasteless, and this may relate to a previous discussion about the personality of the man who is interested. So when he suddenly enters the shop in the middle of a chat about parmesan, she says, "Well, well well. Speaking of foreign cheese". My guess is that the man is also a foreigner, relative to the girls.

SanMar

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Well, they were talking about some type of dinner Melinda is going to make, but I don't see any clue. Sorry!

[FONT=굴]1033150 - As soon as i finish this, i'm
1033150 - going back and making him dinner.
[/FONT][FONT=굴]1035983 - And he likes this special parmesan
1035983 - that you can only get at bianchi's.
[/FONT][FONT=굴]1039751 - What?
[/FONT][FONT=굴]1041983 - Well, well, well.
[/FONT][FONT=굴]1043551 - Speaking of
1043551 - foreign cheese.[/FONT]​

Did the guy who likes this special parmesan walk in at the end of this conversation, or any other person? Sounds like they are referring to someone that has just arrived, as foreign cheese but this not a common thing to say, at least I have never hear of it before. At best I'm just guessing here, there isn't enough information to really say.

Not a teacher.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.