• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Belarus
      • Current Location:
      • Belarus

Exclamation Please, help me out with the sentences

1) Not far from the square there is a cozy students’ yard of the University, where a monument to the famous enlighteners Frantsisk Skorina, Efrosinya Polotskaya, Kyrill Turovsky, Simon Budny, and Vasili Tjapinsky is situated.

Could you tell me, please, why does a grammar checking up programme define the underlined part of the sentence as the wrong one? I'm inclined to think that the programme is wrong here

2) From Nezavisimosti Square the main city highway – Independence Avenue, crossing Minsk from south-west to north-east – begins.
    Are all punctuation marks used correctly in this sentence?
    Thank you

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: Please, help me out with the sentences

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Bright View Post
    1) Not far from the square there is a cozy students’ yard of the University, where a monument to the famous educators Frantsisk Skorina, Efrosinya Polotskaya, Kyrill Turovsky, Simon Budny, and Vasili Tjapinsky is situated.

Could you tell me, please, why does a grammar checking up programme define the underlined part of the sentence as the wrong one? I'm inclined to think that the programme is wrong here

2) From Nezavisimosti Square the main city highway – Independence Avenue, crossing Minsk from south-west to north-east – begins.
    Thank you
    2) From Nezavisimosti Square the main city highway, Independence Avenue, which crosses Minsk from south-west to north-east begins.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

1) Not far from the square there is a cozy students’ yard of the University, where a monument to the famous enlighteners Frantsisk Skorina, Efrosinya Polotskaya, Kyrill Turovsky, Simon Budny, and Vasili Tjapinsky is situated.

Thank you
    I found enlightener in a dictionary from 1913. It's probably archaic. You could say something like famous figures in the development of Belorussian culture/language.

A comment on 2 (more like minor quibble): You translated "Independence Avenue" but not "Nezevisimosti Square". Also, when transliterated I believe the names are put into nominative case.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Belarus
      • Current Location:
      • Belarus

I found enlightener in a dictionary from 1913. It's probably archaic. You could say something like famous figures in the development of Belorussian culture/language.

A comment on 2 (more like minor quibble): You translated "Independence Avenue" but not "Nezevisimosti Square". Also, when transliterated I believe the names are put into nominative case.
    At the moment I am thinking of the better way to translate the proper name: Independence or Nezavisimosti Square. I've just missed the first word in the sentence and this is why I didn't translate it.

The other thing about the case is that Nezavisimosti is the way to transliterate the word, accepted in my country. Yet, I appreciate your remarks, even if they are just quibbles, on the matter as they show you really care. Thank you

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Belarus
      • Current Location:
      • Belarus

Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    2) From Nezavisimosti Square the main city highway, Independence Avenue, which crosses Minsk from south-west to north-east begins.
    Thank you for response, bhaisahab. Do you mind me asking you one more thing? According to the commas you has given, which crosses Minsk from south-west to north-eas is a restrictive attribute. I thought it's non-restrictive

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

What bhai set off with commas is "Independence Avenue" which is the appositive to "the main city highway".

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Thank you for response, bhaisahab. Do you mind me asking you one more thing? According to the commas you has given, which crosses Minsk from south-west to north-eas is a restrictive attribute. I thought it's non-restrictive
    If you take out "Independence avenue", you are left with "From Nezavisimosti Square the main city highway which crosses Minsk from south-west to north-east begins." which, punctuated thus: "From Nezavisimosti Square the main city highway, which crosses Minsk from south-west to north-east, begins" is a correct sentence. "Independence Avenue" is additional information.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Belarus
      • Current Location:
      • Belarus

What bhai set off with commas is "Independence Avenue" which is the appositive to "the main city highway".
    If you take out "Independence avenue", you are left with "From Nezavisimosti Square the main city highway which crosses Minsk from south-west to north-east begins." which, punctuated thus: "From Nezavisimosti Square the main city highway, which crosses Minsk from south-west to north-east, begins" is a correct sentence. "Independence Avenue" is additional information.
    Have got a looong way to go before I understand how English grammar and mentality work. Thanks