[Idiom] Let´s have a relaxing chat over (a) coffee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hucky

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
German
Home Country
Switzerland
Current Location
Switzerland
Hi,

I´d like to have a relaxing chat over (a) coffee with you. The only problem is if we should have it over coffee or over a coffee. You can find oodles of constructions with either phrases. Do the two belong to different varieties of English? Well, it won´t spoil the coffee, anyway. So, you are welcome!

Hucky

Vidor

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
not a teacher

no difference

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Re: not a teacher

no difference
I agree.

I suppose one could argue that suggesting a chat over 'a coffee' might suggest a shorter chat than one over 'coffee'. However, I feel that that would be trying to find a difference where none really exists.

Hucky

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
German
Home Country
Switzerland
Current Location
Switzerland
So, it does not have anything to do with British or American English. For instance, there is a similar distinction between the two varieties: to play (the) guitar / AE (BE). Could it be that one of them is rather the traditional and the other a new version. As just coffee without an article signifies a collective noun, I would have expected to have a chat only over a coffee, i.e. a cup of coffee. But if it is the way you say, I leave it up to you in what form we may chat.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

Hucky

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
German
Home Country
Switzerland
Current Location
Switzerland
'Coffee' is not a collective noun.

Thank you! But I knew in advance. I wrote so on purpose. I wanted to make you happy once.;-)

Hucky

P.S. Joking apart, I meant to write uncountable noun. In spite of the gaffe, both collective nouns, mass nouns (coffee without article and plural) (and in addition abstract nouns) - as they share similar features - fall under the same umbrella term (category) of singulare tantum.

Hucky

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
German
Home Country
Switzerland
Current Location
Switzerland
Something else has come to my mind. It is not very likely - although not impossible - that the two versions have always coexisted, not even in two different varieties. So with some probability one may assume that one of them is older or the original one. Does anyone happen to remember? What makes me think so is inter alia the fact that coffee is an uncount noun here. Moreover, I have checked a number of contextual examples and have found out that most of the over coffee versions go with a second object like coffee and cake/biscuits. Could it be that the non-article version has its origin here?

And what if we choose a verb of speaking that goes with the preposition over instead of chat/talk? Then we´d have: We debated over (a) coffee. Wouldn´t the non-article version sound as if coffee was the object of the debate?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
In spite of the gaffe, both collective nouns, mass nouns (coffee without article and plural) (and in addition abstract nouns) - as they share similar features - fall under the same umbrella term (category) of singulare tantum.
I doubt if many readers of this forum are familiar with 'singulare tantum', a term for a noun used only in the singular form. Whether that term applies to 'coffee' is perhaps a topic for another thread.

Hucky

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
German
Home Country
Switzerland
Current Location
Switzerland
I doubt if many readers of this forum are familiar with 'singulare tantum', a term for a noun used only in the singular form. Whether that term applies to 'coffee' is perhaps a topic for another thread.

But you are, and that is what mattered to me. Last night I wrote for the luminaries only, just between you and me and the gatepost. You see, I haven´t changed yesterday`s approach yet. I keep bestowing gracious favours to whom it is due.

In actual fact, it is a terminus technicus in grammar. As far as the mass noun-meaning (I like coffee) is concerned, it is a singular noun. Coffees would mean sorts of coffee, but the two of us should rather chat over coffee (well, I´d prefer over a coffee, and I feel deep inside, you do so too), not coffees. If it means cups of coffee, I´d say one coffee between us at a time will do. More would be too much of a good thing.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
But you are, and that is what mattered to me. Last night I wrote for the luminaries only, just between you and me and the gatepost. You see, I haven´t changed yesterday`s approach yet. I keep bestowing gracious favours to whom it is due.
If you wish to write to selected persons only, be they luminaries or not, please send private messages. This is a public forum.

Hucky

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
German
Home Country
Switzerland
Current Location
Switzerland
If you wish to write to selected persons only, be they luminaries or not, please send private messages. This is a public forum.

Dear birdeen´s call,

Come on, you will be able to take a joke. My maxim is: many a true word is spoken in jest. I have mentioned this saying on several occasions because it is one of my favourites. Of course, my words do not exclude anyone, and I did´t mean to favour anyone either. But you must admit that it is no overstatement at all to apply this title to fivejedjon.

Best greetings from old Hucky

P.S. I don´t even know how to write a private message.
Besides, everybody can read what I write. There is nothing to hide.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
If you want to send a private message, to me in this example, you can click my nickname in the upper left corner of this post, next to my avatar. A menu should appear where you have to click "Send a private message to birdeen's call".

SanMar

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I'm curious, what do you mean by "relaxing chat"?

Not a teacher.
:)

Opus018

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
United States
Current Location
France
Personally, British English and American English will always be the English language , regardless its origins. You can be understood in any English speaking country, if you respect the universal English sentence structure. The only difference between American and British English is just the vocabulary choices and pronunciation. There is always, a casual way or simplified way of speaking and it excise in almost every language." I´d like to have a relaxing chat over (a) coffee with you" sounds like you're asking a friend, whether you add a cup of coffee or not, it's still understandable. That is beauty of the English language, very few languages have this kind of way of speaking while being understood. If you were to do that in another language, that person wont understand you.....

Status
Not open for further replies.